The Rejection: 15

The Rejection - 15
_____________________________

               - Jason -

"What are--" I heard Hope say loudly before she was cut off. The front door hitting against the wall roughly made a loud bang. With my sharp hearing, I could tell there were retreating footsteps, but even I could tell that it wasn't Hope's. I jumped up immediately, running toward the front door, fear coursing throughout my body.

               "Mother fucker! Let me down!" Hope screamed, her voice seeming to fade a fleetingly quick pace. I jumped outside, whipping my head around all directions.

               Nothing, absolutely nothing. Not a living soul or creature in sight.

               My fear kicked up a notch.

               "Hope!" I screamed. My voice echoed about the clearing around me. A flock of crows from the tip tops of the pine trees at the forest line flew off, cawing and screeching at each other. A mixture of emotions blended within me; anger, distress, hurt, worry, pain - every negative feeling you could think of. She was gone before she ever really came back, snatched practically right in front of me. I felt ashamed; I was the most pathetic excuse for a mate.

               For the slightest of seconds, I wished she had never come back. I had wished that she stayed wherever it is she had been at and stayed with Michael - she would have been happy; all I ever made her feel was stress and pain. I had finally felt the rejection she had three years ago, and I'm not going to lie when the first thing I thought of doing was dying. How she had made it through all these years, I hadn't the slightest clue.

               'And you wondered why she was being so 'mean' to you,' my wolf snarled, frustrated with me. Once again, I felt pathetic and useless. All these years, I knew I had put her through pain, but I hadn't realized that the pain was like being burned alive.

               'I'll fix this,' I told him confidently; it wasn't an option anymore. I had to fix what I messed up. My wolf said nothing more.

               Without wasting a minute more of time, I shifted into my large black wolf and began to shred a path through the dark and dreary forest. Thunder clapped throughout the sky, the dark storm clouds covering every inch of the world above. It was horrifically haunting, teasing me, as if the weather was corresponding with the events going on around me.

               I slowed my running to a stop, her air borne scent not being good enough to track her down. In fact, her vanilla scent was practically gone, blown away with the wind. The worst scenarios began to form in my mind.

               What if she had gotten hurt?

               Was she just taken randomly, or did someone, honest to God, hate her?

               Was she... Dead?

               I shook my head at the last one, causing my black fur to shift about. I refused to think like that, knowing that it would only agitate me further. However, I knew she wasn't dead; I could feel it in my bones.

               My black wolf howled along with the booming thunder, a bolt of light skittering across the thunder clouds. Hope was my mate, and I didn't give a damn if it killed me or not, I would bring her to safety.

               A plan formed in my head. I turned around and ran back to the pack house just as the rain began to sprinkle. Shifting into my human form as I reached the door, I pulled on a pair of athletic shorts I kept off to the side. No one was home yet, and the rain was just beginning to pour down in buckets. Without hesitating, I grabbed the house phone from the kitchen and dialed a number I had made myself memorize after he came back.