Chapter 1

~Lauren~

I turned the camera off and picked up my phone. I had 1 call, 3 text messages, and 77 unread emails. The call was from Alex. The 3 messages came in a group message from my best friends. They were coordinating a photo shoot for later in the week. Christmas was approaching, so we were trying to schedule a Christmas photo shoot. I read the messages:

            Remi: How about Wednesday?? I've started decorating, we can use my place!!

           Mia: Wednesday is good for me! I'm leaving town early Friday morning.

          Tiff: Ughhh... I'm sorry. I'm already booked. Could we try for Thursday? I hate to push it back...

I looked at my schedule. Alex had asked me to pencil in some time to see him on Thursday night. Since moving into my new home, which was about an hour away from my old apartment, and an hour and one minute from Alex's, I knew I wasn't spending as much time with him. When he asked me to schedule time for him on Thursday, I could tell he was feeling a bit neglected.

~Alex~

I nonchalantly checked my phone for what felt like the 100th time since I called Lauren an hour ago. I knew she was filming today, but still... no phone call. After basically living together since she moved to LA from Toronto, this hour distance between us felt like we were across the country.

I mean, we didn't live together. We had separate apartments, we just spent so much time together. I could walk to her place as soon as I woke up in the morning. I checked my phone again. Still nothing. I dialed her number and it again went to voicemail.

Disappointed, I tied my laces and headed out the door for a run promising myself I wouldn't check my phone again until I made it back to the house.

~Lauren~

I texted the girls back asking if we could shoot Thursday morning hoping that I'd be done in time to spend some quality time with Alex. I looked at the time: 1:47. I quickly packed an overnight bag, grabbed my keys, and Moose and headed to my car. As I backed out of the driveway, I realized I missed another call from Alex. I hid my location from him and hoped I would be able to surprise him with a visit.