Chapter 1:unfamiliar surroundings

Before you start the story I would love feed back and this is my first story and only the ruff draft that are probably grammar problems and other unwanted stuff please leave a comment and I will fix what I can. enjoy 

"It was a very normal day. Me with my brother, whom just fell on his face. My name is Rose and my brother's name is James. He is a little taller than me. He has jet black hair messy like always." I said looking at james with a smile

"Rose, would you please stop narrating your life like it's a book because it's not. Now hurry up, we're almost home." James said with the a hint of annoyance

I had long poofy dark brown hair and tan skin. Where we lived helped with what I look like now. But the hair is from my mom I think and my skills my mom still. That is what my brother tells me. He has why more memories of mom and dad then I do. we oddly enough don't care about them they were not there for us as we grew older. So why should I think of them as family. They don't deserve the roles. I have james and he has me we have a home.

Home was not really home to me I always did like being on the move with james.

Just as we came out of the woods near our village. The smell of smoke and burnt wood filled the air and the sting of the smoke in my eyes filled them with tears. With the smell and the sting brought flashing memories of a blazing fire the sound of screaming and a voice.

"Hurry it can't be stopped unless you wake up it's coming not much time join us at pine top cross." the male voice faded

When the voices stopped so did the fire and all I saw was black but the black was not still. Then I woke up to the sound of my brothers voice talking to me.

" hurry the bonfire food won't last much longer I can't believe that we're late." James said Now I don't remember what I was thinking I looked at my brother.

"Hey didn't your eyes burn when we went through that smoke."

"What smoke Rose I can smell it but were way too far for that for your eyes to be burning."

I shrugged it off and oddly enough so did James, but I didn't question him. At this point we can see the village. It was surrounded by a stone wall not big but it was still something. It didn't stop much from getting in and or out. I think it was the idea of a much greater kingdom that never was. At least that what I always like to think. The houses were made of oak and everyone knew everyone. Nobody was ever mean to anyone people were always nice to one another. This was the best place to live in a dark and dangerous world. We live in a good sized house not much but it was home for my brother and me. Our parents were elsewhere they never told us where they were going. One day they gave me and my brother each an amulet. it was a gold chain with a deep blue crystal. When I was cold the amulet brought a warm feeling to my heart to keep us going. It helped us never lose hope that me and my brother will always stay together.

My brothers voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I must have been in a deep state of mind because we were all ready at the bonfire. It was outside of the walls so not to catch the houses on fire.

"Rose come on and get some food it's really good."

"I'm good, I'm going to go home and then for a walk I'll see you later."

"Ok I'll save you some food." james replied with a shrug

Walking through the village there was always something new at the stores. Always new faces even though we don't get many visitors. So there were not that many fighters here. Me and James were the only line of defence sadly but we make do. People past me and greeted me and I always responded with a smile. I finally got home opened the door and walked in right away you saw the kitchen and a small guest room door in the back. I did not need anything from down here. so I walked up the wooden stairs that connected to the kitchen. the only rooms up stairs was the bathroom and our bed rooms. I walked over to my door and as I walked the floor creaked and almost looked like it was moving. I open my door and there was nothing out of the ordinary. I have one bed a wardrobe and a dummy made to hold armor. I walked over to my wardrobe and opened it and retrieved my amulet now having what I came for I left my room. As soon as I stepped out of the doorway I noticed that the shadows seemed to move like a black smoke in the victim's lunges. But almost as if it noticed me the feeling stopped.