0

Kristen didn't mean to stumble across Robert's new house. Really. She didn't mean to.

She was simply strolling around the neighbourhood, not having anything better to do, she was convincing herself so. Her house was messy, but she was trying not to let her OCD occupy her too much. As she had said once, she didn't need to tidy her desk before calling a friend or working on her writing skill.

But when she passed a house she had never really paid much attention to, she was astonished to see a person she never thought she would have seen ever again in Los Angeles.

Robert.

What was he doing there on the porch of the house? Was he the owner? If so, why had he bought a house in Kristen's neighbourhood? On purpose?

Kristen perked up. She had to rub her eyes, to make sure she was really seeing him. Yes, it was him. The same fair messy hair and tall frame.

She was too near the house. A few metres away from the porch, where he was.

"Robert?", she called. A little too loudly. Loud enough for him to hear her, to look at her and to smile at her. She was so not ready to talk to him. It had been years since she had seen him. Lie. She had seen him the previous year at Met Gala. They had even shared a friendly embrace.

He grinned at her and waved friendly, gesturing her to come to him. With awkward steps, she went to him, feeling guilty for calling his name. She shouldn't have. She wasn't ready to talk to him. What was she going to tell him?

"Hey," Smiling at her, he gave her an unexpected hug, which she hesitantly returned. "We're neighbours now, huh?"

She smiled awkwardly. "Yeah. I guess we are. Welcome to the neighbourhood?"

He laughed and invited her in. "Come on! Let me show you around." He appeared to be too enthusiastic.

Robert's house was different from the one he had used to have in Los Angeles. This one was more traditional, in the craftsman style. It had been prepared for a family to live in there with its large kitchen, dining and living area. Upstairs, there were enough bedrooms and bathrooms for a multigenerational household.

But with who was Robert planning to make a family if he had bought such a large house? Kristen was about to learn.