Chapter Three

"Where the hell are you?" My mom's voice is so frantic at the other end her accent slips through her words.

"I'm so sorry!" I beg, "Some kids invited me to get coffee and I forgot my phone in the car!"

At this she falls silent for a moment. Suddenly docile she says, "Alright, fine, but please call next time! I was worried sick about you."

"Okay, I'm sorry. I'm on my way now. I'll see you in a few."

I can't get into to the door for five minutes before my mom is berating me with questions.

"Who invited you to coffee?"

"Prescott and some of his friends."

"Prescott? Did you know him before today?"

"No, just met him today."

"How did they ask you?"

"They saw me walking out of school and asked me to go with them."

"Were they nice?"

"Yea they were we had a good time. We're going again tomorrow."

"Are they good kids?"

"I guess so- I don't know Mom, I just met them!"

"What kind of―" I cut her off.

"It's like 6:30. I really need to get some homework done." I guess I sort of brought that on myself. I know my mom means well. She still feels bad for temporarily ruining my life with our last move so she's probably just happy to know that I won't be a loner here too.

Surprisingly enough, I pull a book from my sack and open it up. It's new, pages still stiff and glossy. As I read the passages new facts about early Latin America flood my brain. The familiar rush rises up in me. There are documents, controversial material, and evidence of corruption in our government. This isn't your average history course and for once I actually dive hungrily into my homework.

All of my classes have an investigative sense to them. They don't seem to be the same ol' same ol', 'this happened and this guy made it happen'. They actually provoke thought. Maybe this IB thing will be a good change of pace.

When I check the clock it's already 11:00pm and my playlist is running through its fourteenth circuit. I wrap up the last of my chemistry and click my light off.

Lightly drifting music gains strength and soon words form kissing my ears. I enjoy it until it occurs to me that that's my alarm. In a flurry of clumsy moments I fly from my bed to the shower. When I get out the mirror is fogged but I can see the silhouette of my mane expanding rapidly. I concoct my usual mixture of gel, mouse, and relaxer and try to tame the beast threatening to consume me.

It's a nice drive to the school, kind of long but that's not a problem for me since I always rise before the sun and enjoy driving. I swing into Starbucks to grab a Passion Tea Lemonade. I can still justify drinking this because even though it's currently mid-September it's always warm here.

Dry heat too. I've lived in farming towns before but at least there it rained. Newcastle has a strange knack for growing crops next to a dessert. Even more amazing is how densely the academy's grounds are covered by trees. It's enough to make the Dixie Forest jealous. With everyone commuting the school's population is bigger than the town's. It feels like it would be more appropriately placed in Boston or at least somewhere in the Midwest. The castle seems so out of place in Newcastle.

The parking lot is nearly empty and for a moment I fear that we actually don't have school or something. I check my dash and realize I'm half an hour early, of course. Despite how refreshing the air conditioning is I grab my book bag and make my way to the stone tables in front of the school. I find one with the perfect amount of shade. A breeze that tickles the back of my neck carries the fragrance from the firs surrounding this place. I flip through the pages of my newest book and embrace the moment. As my nose crinkles to the last tart sip of my drink nature's calming melody is broken by the sound of tires. One by one the parking lot floods with cars. Teachers with new briefcases and pantsuits emerge like hatching sea turtles and approach the great stone building. One particularly kind-looking, plump woman in her mid-forties looks to me and smiles. I smile back and wave quickly. The small gesture widens the smile on her face and when she turns to walk in she bounces a little.