eyes open

She woke up.

It was a normal Monday, and Aile Spino slowly wiped the sleep out of her eyes. She had maybe stayed up a little later than usual, reading a book, and now she would suffer the repercussions of it. She ran to her bathroom to get a shower.

She had set her alarm for ten minutes later than she normally had it set, so she wouldn't get as much time to browse her social media before heading out into the biting morning October air.

When Aile stepped out of the shower, the bathroom fan greeted her with extra warmth as she dried off. She combed her hair in the slightly-fogged bathroom mirror, before getting dressed and grabbing her backpack.

Running downstairs to eat a quick bowl of cereal, she glanced at the time on her phone. She had a few minutes to relax before heading to the bus stop. Her socked feet created soft padding noises as she walked cautiously into the kitchen.

She didn't want to accidentally step on her dog. The kitchen was pitch black, and without lighting, she could barely make out where anything was. Managing to avoid stepping on something, she flipped on the lights, humming a tune.

On the outside, she looked innocent. Perfectly normal.

But already, the mask that once blinded youth from the world was peeling off.

And it would be the most precious thing she ever lost.