Chapter Thirty-Two

Camila's POV

Lauren and I were on our way to Rochester to see my mother in the hospital. I was nervous because I can't think of one time that my mom and I had ever gotten along. She was never a fan of mine, in all honesty I have no idea why I was going to see her. This could be a total disaster, but I guess it was worth the risk.

"We're getting close are you starting to freak out?" Lauren said looking at me briefly before looking back at the road.

"I've been freaking out since I got the call." I told her.

"It shouldn't be that bad, how much damage can she do from a hospital bed?" She joked.

I smiled. "She could throw her bedpan at me."

She laughed.

"That's messed up, I hope she doesn't do that. Maybe they should put her in restraints while were in there." She suggested.

"I guess we'll just see how it goes." I said.

"Sofi was pretty adamant about not coming." She mentions.

"It was her choice, I understand her not coming. I could tell that she's completely moved on from the situation."

"Nothing seems to really bother her." She says.

"She's tough, I wish I was a lot like her growing up. She's strong and driven, something that I never was. I admire my little sister." I admit.

"That's sweet."

"Speaking of sweet you should eat a granola bar." I said taking the bar out of my bag.

"I'm fine Camz." She said.

"We've been on the road for nearly two hours, you need at least a snack." I said pushing the granola bar towards her.

She rolls her eyes then takes it. "Thank you."

"Someone has to take care of you." I said.

She smiles as she takes a bite out of the granola bar.

"If someone has to take care of me I'm glad that it's you."

She was sweet.

It didn't take long before we pulled up to the hospital, I wanted to get this over with so we headed into the hospital right away.

We went to the front desk and they gave us our visitors pass and told us her room number. Lauren and I walked hand in hand to my mothers room, it was really nice having Lauren here. We made it to the room and before we went in I looked at Lauren who gave me a encouraging look. I took a breath then knocked on the door, I didn't want to just walk in. I heard a faint 'come in' then I opened the door and walked in.

My mother was laying in the hospital bed she was wide awake and looking at the TV. When she noticed Lauren and I she didn't acknowledge us at all she just turned at looked back at the TV.

"Hi mom." I said in an uncertain tone.

"Hello Camila, who is this you brought with you?" She asked not looking at either one of us.

"This is Lauren, she's my fiancee." I shared.

That's when she looked at us.

"I never knew what to expect with you Camila, you were always such a strange girl." She says.

"I came all this way mom, can you not be mean?" I said.

"I'm not being mean, I just wasn't expecting you to come in here and tell me that you're getting married to a woman." She voiced.