Chapter 14) Once upon a time

"Are you ready to talk." Alex said.

"No." I say with a straight look on my face.

"Well I can sit here all night." He says gesturing to my tailgate. I shrugged and said.

"Hopefully you have a killer grip, because when I get in that truck I'm not going to stop."

"Wow harsh words Smith, I'm hurt." He says putting a hand over his heart.
I just shrug and get in my truck.

I look in the rear view mirror to see his dark hair blowing in the wind. I can't believe he didn't get out. When I reach the motel he hops out of the bed of my truck.

"That was awesome!" He says running a hand through this messy hair. With the look of amazement all over his face.

I couldn't help but laugh at him. "You act like a child." I say

"Thank you." He says with a goofy smile on his face. His eyes not leaving mine.

"Okay." I finally say after about ten minutes of awkward silence sitting on the tailgate. "You can explain now." I said biting my lip.

"You really don't know." He says looking up into my eyes.

"Know what?" I ask raising an eyebrow.

"Can I tell you a story?" He said and I shook my head. "Once upon a time there was this boy in the seventh grade.
He just moved to a new town and had no one." He hesitated. "One day on the playground an older boy pushed him down and started bullying him. He didn't want to fight back. Then out of nowhere a beautiful blond came up and punched the bully in the nose. He then ran off crying." He stoped and chuckled. "The girl and the boy became best friends in the seventh grade, they were inseparable. Until one day the boys father was killed in a car crash. The little boy had to go and live with his grandma and left his best friend behind." He stopped and looked at me. "By the time the boy was old enough to come back and look for his best friend she had moved." Then he looked away.

"Did he ever find her?"

He looked up into my eyes. "Yeah he did."

"You......you came back?" I asked, my breath caught in my throat. Tears silently escaping.

"How could I not?" He said cupping my cheek wiping away a tear.

Before I knew it he was kissing me.
The only thought that had hit me was. He came back looking for me. All those years I thought he left because of me.

I pulled away tears still helplessly falling down my face. He looked so different, he wasn't the weird boy with glasses I once knew, he wasn't my best friend.

"Why didn't you tell me before all of this?" I didn't recognize him he had changed so much.

"I thought you knew who I was?" He said plainly.

"I knew you as Alexander not Alex. But I should have put two and two together." I said shifting a little.

"I'm sorry." He said with a sad look on his face. "I shouldn't have went after Dillion, just seeing you kiss him really set me off."

"It's okay." I said with a little chuckle. Looking at my phone I hadn't realized the time, 7:45. I had fifteen minutes before Dillion was going to be here.

"I have to go." He said glancing at my screen. He kissed my forehead lightly. Without another word he got up and walked away. I ran inside and got ready for my date.