2 - Letters from Courtney

The shiny red alarm clock isn't ringing yet, but it's too late for it to do its magic. Courtney is awake already, 30 minutes earlier than the time the alarm clock should wake her up.

If the alarm clock could talk, it would raise a question: What's with Courtney? Because this morning is very different from the mornings the alarm clock spent with the short-haired lady. Usually it would receive a punishment from her swift, heavy hand, but this time, it's lucky to be spared from such unjust treatment.

What's with Courtney, anyway? It is worth noting that she managed to wake up early, for she has been a subject of punctuality issues since her Team Magma days.

She's busy looking up at the spinning ceiling fan, her mind fixed on last night's events - getting chewed up by the 'evil' employer of Torkoal Grill and dealing with a jerk of a customer, who happened to be Brendan - who always gets in her way. I got meddled with unexpectedly by that kid once again! Just like the old times. And now he's a man. Still cute...and disgusting!

And the alarm clock finally sang its monotonous song, prompting Courtney to leap out of her bed and run to the shower. After that she wore her favorite red tee and black shorts and fixed her chin-length hair.

She never leaves without pokemon so she took two of her pokemon along, namely Humphrey, a camerupt she had since she was a child, and Lupin, a mightyena she had during her Team Magma days. "Let's go!" She wheeled off on her folding bike to Torkoal Grill.

She parked the bike near the entrance and dismounted. She walked towards the glass door entrance that says 'Closed' and pushed her way in.

There's not one people in the place except for John, the Employee of the Month, sitting by the door, busy reading the morning papers,

"Hello," Courtney greeted.

John returned the hello, not bothering to lift his eyes up and away from the newspaper to see who came in. That's how Employee of the Month works.

Courtney snatched away the newspaper as she walked past, also snatching away his attention and leaving him with torn pieces of paper and fury on both hands.

"Damn you Courtney!" John stood up.

"Ahahaha!" Courtney crossed her arms. "Sorry, I can't think of a better way to get your attention, John."

"Ugh. Now, what do you want? Wait, isn't today your day off?"

"Yes, but your momma wanted to see me today. I'm in for a promotion. Is she in?"

"Stop dreaming, Courtney. And yes Madam's in the office. Now hand me over that newspaper."

"Okay." She reached out the newspaper to John but she snapped it back in before he could even grab it. "Ahahaha! Oh no, John. Wait a second."

Her tricks further infuriated John who is about to reach critical mass.

After scanning the newspaper in 10 seconds she rolled the newspaper and hit John with it on his chest. "Thank you, sir!"

John simmered down and continued reading, thus a major disaster is averted.

Courtney walked by a row of overturned tables and turned right, facing the entrance to the death chamber, also known as the office. She walked towards the door, and knocked on it lightly.

"Come in," said the manager who is waiting on the other side.

Courtney nudged the door open and poked her head in to say hello to the manager, who is busy playing with her pokenav, her elbows pressed against the untidy wooden desk.