Chapter 1

I do not own OUAT, any of its cast and/ or characters, nor it's plot. If I did then I'd be very proud of myself right now as I think season seven is better than I thought it would be. It's very good actually! Also, just so you know, I literally have no bloody idea what I'm even doing, I just know I had an idea and I want to follow through. *Insert shrug here*

Freedom

3rd Person

Emma sighs as she ties the ribbons of her apron around her back, tying it into a knot as she chews her gum in time with the sound of the music playing quietly from the speakers.

It's her first day as a waitress at Granny's diner in the small town she drove to, with a sweet little name she wouldn't have ever seen herself living in. The town is called Storybrooke; it's a quaint, small, unsuspecting town where nothing ever happens.

That is exactly what she needed. A break from the constant bad news and disharmony that follows her around like a bad smell.

She's only twenty-four years old, this shouldn't still be happening. By this time in her life she should at least have a better job then the first one offered to her. However, a week ago when she'd moved to town with nothing but ten dollars in her pocket and Granny was the only one to offer her a job and a free room for as long as she worked there, Emma was hardly in the position to say no.

Slowly and quietly, acting like a mouse trying to hide, Emma steps out from the bathroom in her new uniform. She woke up a little late and didn't want to be late so she got dressed at work, her other clothes in her (falling to pieces) handbag that's in the cupboard.

The second that Granny spots her, she's handed a tray and a pad with a pen on top and is instructed to go to the man in the booth and ask him what he'd like.

She makes her way over quickly, plastering a smile on her face as she greets the customer. "Hi, I'm Emma, are you ready to order yet or do you need a minute?"

The man in question glances up at her, smiling kindly. "I'm just waiting for my girlfriend to come, but I'll have some coffee please?" He offers her his hand. "I'm David Nolan, I work at the animal shelter down the street but I meet my girlfriend for lunch so you'll be seeing a lot of me."

Emma takes his hand gently and gives it a gentle shake before taking her hand back. "Emma Swan, this is my first day so I'm sorry if I screw it up. How would you like your coffee?" She asks, jotting it down on her fresh pad neatly, doing her best handwriting.

"Just black is fine, thank you, Emma." He smiles, and she can tell he's probably quite friendly to everyone just by the look in his eyes. He had the look of someone who wants to be her friend, and she doesn't think she'd be the best choice in one so she just nods and quickly rushes off to grab him some coffee.

By the time she comes back, there's a dark-haired woman with a pixie cut, who smiles like a crazy lady at the sight of her. "Hi, I'm Mary Margaret!" She greets happily, taking Emma's hand and shaking it. "David tells me you're a new waitress here, and I just wanted to let you know that if you ever need a tour guide or any help or anything...we're here."

Emma nods slowly, offering her a small smile to be polite. "Thanks. I'm Emma." She states simply, before coughing once and plastering on what she's now calling her 'waitress smile'. "What can I get you?"

After David and Mary Margaret have ordered and she'd served a few other people, getting only one persons order wrong and it was because she forgot to put milk in his tea, but he was decent about it so she doesn't think she messed up too badly.