Chapter Twenty-Two

Nearing eight weeks past the operation has Lorna starting to feel somewhat normal again. Slowly, talking has become quite a bit easier; she only finds herself stuttering a few times per sentence. Less pitying stares are given making living in prison under such predicament much more peaceful. Being wheelchair bound has only strengthened the relationship between she and Nicky.

Even with settling into her new normal, Lorna still isn't too keen on the idea of needing help with almost every task in the morning. That's why she finds herself army crawling across the floor of her cube to her wheelchair that sits near the outside wall. With Red gone—most likely already down in the kitchen for her work shift—she has no other choice but to do it herself. There's no way she'll just sit around and wait. She needs to be somewhat independent, she internalizes.

A pair of shoes – inches from her face – causes Lorna's head to slightly lift to peer into the eyes of their owner. She's met with Nicky's overpowering compassionate ones.

"What're ya doin', doll?" The redhead softly inquiries, walking over to her. She crouches down beside her, staring worryingly into her brown orbs. "Do ya need help?"

Lorna immediately shakes her head, slightly pushing the other's hand away. She knows her girlfriend is only trying to assist her, but she can't stand being so dependent anymore—she needs to do this for herself. Her hands push against the ground to force her body to move. Finally, after a brutal five minutes, she makes it to the wheelchair and tries to lift herself up.

Nicky sighs, watching her girlfriend's struggle pulls heavily on her heart strings. She understands the woman wants to be able to do things for herself, but she also isn't too fond of Lorna's pushing herself too hard. So, when she sees her nearly fall while trying to hoist herself into the chair, she immediately scoops her up and places her in it.

"You can't push yourself to do things like that...you'll end up gettin' hurt, kid," she says once Lorna's settled in the wheelchair. The defeated—almost shameful—expression on her face brings an overwhelming wave of empathy over Nicky. A sigh escapes her. She kneels in front of her, letting her hands lovingly cup around her porcelain cheeks. "Don't be ashamed, baby; it's okay to accept help. I love you...helping you is my job."

The brunette exhales a small breath of air. She slightly shakes her head, gazing sadly into the other's eyes. "No-no, it's not y-your j-jo-job, Nicky. I-I-I need to—need to do th-th-thi-things for-for myself."

Nicky presses a soothing kiss to her forehead, rubbing the tips of her fingers lovingly along her cheeks. "Baby, you need to accept that you need help. I know ya don't like it but doing stuff like this could hurt ya...You need to be careful, Lorna," her voice softly informs the other; she peers firmly up into her eyes.

Slightly pouting, Lorna shakes her head and slowly starts wheeling herself out of the dorms.

Quickly on her tail, the redhead steps in front of her to stop her from escaping. She holds her hands sternly on her girlfriend's shoulders. "Where are ya trying to go, kid? Don't be mad. I'm only telling you things to keep ya safe. I'm not saying this shit to be mean...come on, ya know I would never wanna make ya feel bad," she gently pleads, letting her finger tips brush delicately against her skin.

"I ain't-ain't m-ma-ma-mad." Lorna stares down at her useless legs and frowns, "W-well-well not at-at you."

Exhaling deeply, a wave of sorrow floods through the taller woman's body. It makes her heart sink to see how the tumor removal's aftermath has brought so much distress to her girlfriend. "I'm sorry, kid; I know this is really hard for you and believe me, I absolutely hate that you have to deal with this. But it's something ya gotta learn to accept. Please, Lorna, I'm not leaving you...I'm here to help ya with this, let me."