PART 19

Maine can feel him even before he speaks.

She doesn't turn around. She doesn't want him to see her looking like this. She still feels like crying.

She hugs the pillow closer, hoping it would keep her warm tonight.

Richard had worried her. She had felt like her heart was about to be ripped out of her chest when she thought Richard had vanished.

No. She will not forgive Richard even though it wasn't exactly his fault.

Fuck, it was so painful. Still is. Maine still feels like her heart has just been mutilated, the pieces still scattered around somewhere.

"Maine?" Richard's voice is soft. It sends tiny jolts of electricity all over Maine's body, but she still doesn't turn around from her position on the bed. Stubborn, that's what she is.

She hears Richard sigh. More like feels him sigh. She trembles a bit at the gush of cold air, but remains stiff.

"We have... new ghosts, Maine," Richard tries again, willing for Maine to react at the news. "There are three of them. Can you... feel them?"

Maine tries to concentrate and feel the atmosphere inside the manor. True enough, there's a shift in the energy. A shift she wasn't able to feel a couple of hours ago because she's too busy trying to die at the thought of Richard vanishing from her life forever.

"Uhm... one of them is... Jeffrey's boyfriend."

Okay, that... surprises her.

Maine sits up and finally faces Richard, realization slowly dawning on her. She's aware she's blushing as she directs the question at Richard.

"It's the reason why... Jeffrey's emotional... wasn't it?"

Richard is obviously surprised by her sudden question, but the ghost timidly smiles. "Yes." Then she glows a bit. "I... I'm so sorry if you... think it's because of... another reason."

Maine's blush deepens and she averts her gaze. She suddenly finds her chipped nail polish interesting. "I'm... I didn't know. I'm... I'm sorry," she whispers. "I was just..."

Richard slowly floats nearer. Maine feels warmer.

"I understand, Maine," the ghost says. "Pi just left and... you might still be a bit paranoid that Sammy might be next so---"

Maine grips at her bed sheet. She wants to tell Richard that he has never been more wrong, but her mouth won't cooperate.

"Maine..." Richard starts when he receives no response from the writer. "...will you be... sad if it was me who vanished?"

Maine feels the air leave her lungs. Triggered, she finally stands up from her bed to face the ghost, anger evident in those fiery brown pools.

"FUCK YOU, RICHARD!" she shouts and Richard flinches. "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?! Why do you have to ask that, you insensitive jerk?! What do you think of me? An asshole? Are you playing with me?!"

"M-Maine... c-calm down," Richard says as he floats nearer, his hands in the air as if in surrender. "I... I just want to—"

Maine scoffs as she stares at Richard coldly. "To what? Know how much you mean to me?! Well, you're stupid!"

Richard looks hurt, but Maine feels like she doesn't care as she starts pacing. "I came home and saw Jeffrey and Sammy lounging in the living room without you. And Jeffrey, that prissy little princess, was crying! And what did I do, Richard? What did I do? Search for you... you... you... miserable excuse for a ghost! Of course I care about you! I felt like I was dying when I thought you vanished without even saying goodbye, you moron! And now you're asking me if I'd be sad if you were the one who left?! Of course, I'll be sad, idiot! I'll be fucking miserable!"