Chapter Seven

“The best things in life are unseen. That’s why we close our eyes when we kiss, laugh, and dream.”

            I sat at my living room window with a bowl of pistachio flavored ice cream and a book I had been trying to finish for the past two months. Harley was curled up on my lap, quite comfortable and unbelievably adorable.

“Ice cream for breakfast?” I heard Chris say from behind me. I turned my head to look at him and I smiled.

“Yeah,” I said, “I spent sixty seconds trying to think of a reason not to start my day with this delightful treat…I couldn’t find one.” He smiled and crossed the room, sitting right beside me. He then took my spoon and scooped up a generous portion of ice cream, which he fed himself.

“I couldn’t think of one either,” he said. We finished up the bowl of ice cream and I stood up to take it to the sink.

“Why do you want to be blind for a day?” Chris asked me. I turned to look at him.

“Huh?”

“Your list…you said you wanted to be blind for a day,” he told me. He followed me into the kitchen and sat on a stool. I raised an eyebrow.

“I didn’t realize I had to justify my choices,” I said to him. I turned around and set the bowl in the sink.

“You don’t,” he assured me. I didn’t say anything. Chris stood up and began pacing back and forth. Harley ran into the kitchen and began to mimic him.

“Being blind doesn’t seem like a positive thing…” he said, “Why waste a day of your life without one of your senses when you can have all of them?” I turned the water on and began to wash the bowl. In that moment, I didn’t know exactly how to put my thoughts into words.

“Curiosity,” I said, “Just for the hell of it. Ever want to do something just for the hell of it?” He gave me a questioning look.

“Still,” he said, “I can’t imagine it’d be a pleasant experience.” I shrugged.

“Maybe,” I said, “Maybe it will be an eye opening experience.” He grinned at my use of words.

            It was a silk blindfold that he used to tie around my head. We stood in the center of a large nature park filled with trees and grasslands.

“There you go,” he said gently. I could feel him behind me. He was close. I grinned and turned my head up to the sky.

“It’s a beautiful day!” I shouted.

“…It’s miserable outside,” Chris contradicted, “It’s cloudy and gray.” I turned towards where his voice was coming from.

“Not to me,” I said, “Not in my head.”

“Don’t you think this is dangerous?” Chris asked, “You can’t see anything. You could fall into a hole or run into a tree. Something can happen.” I reached out a grabbed hold of his hand.

“I trust you,” I said quietly, “And I’m sure Harley will look out for me too.” He didn’t say anything in response and I turned back around, taking careful but confident steps. He let me walk alone and I took in all of the sounds. I heard the wind in the trees and the tiny animals that we usually ignore. I heard the birds chirping and I heard dogs playing. After a while, I felt him slip his hand into mine. He led me around some people that were walking towards us.

“Chris,” I whispered.

“Yes?”

“I hadn’t noticed it before, but you have a very distinct smell.”