Broken Souls chapter one

Chapter One

Jacob unfurled his large dark brown wings and flew to the top of a broken angel statue some hundreds of feet in the air. He let his feet dangle as he watched the activity down below. People were screaming as the destruction spread. He imagined a lake of lava flowing down the cobblestone street far beneath him, and then it happened. He smirked as those that weren’t able to run fast enough got pulled into the slowly moving bright orange lake of lava. Let them all die, he thought. He was put through enough pain these last five years, he didn’t care who else suffered in his unending thirst for revenge.

Griffin and Isaac glanced suspiciously at the lake of lava that came out of nowhere.

“He’s close,” Griffin announced, Isaac gave the demon a dirty look, and scoffed, looking up at eir taller friend.

“That is something we already know, the obvious will not help us.”

Griffin hesitated, and ran a hand over their long curved horns, something they did when they were nervous; the ebony surfaces oily with the fingerprints of the human they possessed.

“He’s gonna kill us, Zac.”

Isaac never approved of the nickname, but gave up a long time ago. They unfurled their golden wings of an impressive wingspan.

“Please remember, that he is but a half-breed.”

 * * *                    * *  * 

Jacob King woke up in a cold sweat. This nightmare seemed to be recurring but never really made sense to him. What were those things and why were they after him. Although he tried lying to himself, the result was always unsuccessful - one was a demon, the other an angel. He knew. He needed to be born without eyes in order to not know.

That’s where his understanding ended. He knew he was half angel and half demon, he was explained this countless times, even before he knew what that meant. He had small nubby horns on his forehead and and shabby wings that were more trouble than they were worth.

Still, why would they be after him. Then he remembered his role in his dream and shuddered.

“It was only a dream,” he muttered, rubbing his eyes. He glanced at the red numbers of the digital clock on his bedside table.

4:05 am. He groaned and rolled out of bed, too terrified of continuing the dream to resume sleep.

Jacob got out of the shower and was standing in the middle of the bathroom naked and dripping wet. He thought that a shower would help clear his mind, but he kept getting distracted. He sighed when he noticed his feathers were clumping so he pulled out the portal hairdryer from the cabinet above the sink, but it slipped out of his hands and smashed on the tiled floor.

The blow dryer forgotten for now, he glanced in the mirror and the same familiar hatred overcame him. Why did he have to be born a freak? He punched the mirror. Blood flowed from his swollen knuckles and dripped on the white tiled floor.

Drip drip. All he could see was red. He gripped the doorknob and sank to his knees on the cold tile.

Drip drip. He curled himself into a ball, injured hand laying limply at his side still dripping blood. He started crying. A panicked, frantic, sob that was messy and loud. He was crying because of the pain that was so excruciating, he couldn’t feel any other sensation. He cried harder, snot dripping from his nose. He wished he could have been born human.