Denial

Beth awoke on the sidewalk surrounded by strangers within strangers. The wind no longer whipped her hair or her clothes about herself, and the smell of pollution no longer irritated her nose. She was surprised to find herself in the center of attention laying on the dingy ground of the city, instead of a vast black emptiness, or a fiery realm that reeked of blood and the subconscious notion of danger. She was aware that the pavement was sticky and that there was an air of panic around her, but it wasn't until she stood up to dust herself off and ask what everyone was staring at that she realized that she was the cause the panicked crowd. She was standing in the middle of her own lifeless body, which had splattered against the sidewalk leaving a warped and horrifying bright red, chunky, boney splotch 76 meters below the topmost ledge of the apartment building she had elected as her diving board of death. She didn't feel much different physically than she had before she jumped, still cold, still wet on her cheeks from where tears had slipped through her eyelids and slid like salty mops wiping down her face. The only significant difference was that now she was frustrated with the harsh realization that she still felt unhappy and that suicide had in fact, not stopped her from feeling miserable. (Apart from the obvious fact that she was now dead.)
    She could hear people asking questions in their confusion: "What happened??", "Who is that?", "Where'd she jump from?", "WHY?!". She could see them all freaking out because they were going to be traumatized from her little stunt. "I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to ruin your day." She was taken aback the fact that she was apologising to strangers for dying. It hadn't occurred to her that her death would affect anyone who didn't know her well like her family did, but they didn't really know her so well themselves. "Shit! I hope my family's not going to be too devastated by this... they didn't really care though. They should be fine."