Harnier

Disclaimer: Elsword belongs to KOG. I own nothing.

A/N: Hello there, I am here to introduce another new story! This time, it is purely a "what-if" story about Ain and Harnier's origins, so take it as you may. I will warn you that there will be OCs and original places in this mainly because KOG never really provided any details of how general life in Elrios was like before the El Explosion; meaning there won't be Ruben Village, Hamel, Velder, Sander, etc. So, see it as my own interpretation. Also, notice how I'm using the name "Harnier" instead of "Hernia"? Yeah, that's because I don't want to use "Hernia" while thinking about the medical disorder under the same name (sorry). Anyway, I hope you enjoy!

Important note: This takes place before Harnier was adopted into the Solace family.

11/23/17: Also, thanks to justforfum, from EDB discord, for proofreading this chapter! I hope to slowly improve as I continue to write more.

-----

At 8 o'clock at night in a small brick house, a woman screamed in bed as her labor pains hit. The midwife was kneeling on the other end, checking the baby from within the sheets.

"Easy now, just breathe... gently." said the midwife.

The woman heaves. Her hair and face were damp with sweat after experiencing painful contractions over the last couple hours.

"Ma, will you be okay?" her 4-year old son asked, standing next to the bed with an increasingly worried expression. The mother turned her head to him and forced a weak smile.

"Sorry, dear....did I scared you?" she whispered, "I will be okay, Ain. Ma is just... a little hurt right now..."

She closed her eyes to rest for a moment. The little boy didn't quite understand what is happening nor why his mother was in so much agony.

"Ain, can you bring me some fresh towels?" asked the midwife. The boy nodded and ran off to the bathroom to find some.

There, Ain counted the extra towels in the closet. "1... 2... 3. I think that's enough?" he muttered before carrying them out.

Halfway in his return trip to the room, there was a sudden loud knocking on the door which made the boy jump.

He opened the door, and his face immediately lit up upon seeing who it was.

"Da!" he cried out in joy. He was happy that his father finally made it back from work.

"Eilidh!" His father ran passed Ain, seemingly not even acknowledging his son as he made his way to his wife's side. He catches his breath before throwing his coat away to the corner. "How is my wife doing?"

"She's hanging in there," the midwife replies, "And please, calm down."

Ain is standing still in the doorway, his legs are slightly shaking. To his horror, his mother appears to have become paler than before.

The midwife sharply shouted at him. "Ain, where are the towels?"

The boy shuffled to her and gave what she needed. The next thing he knew, his father has gently grabbed him by the shoulder. From he could tell, his father appeared also just as nervous as he was.

"Go outside. I'll tell you when to come back in, alright?"

Ain bites his bottom lip and obliged. "O...Okay..."

---

The boy sat down with the closed door against his back, pulling his knees closer to his chest as he began to feel his hot tears rolling down his cheeks.

"Ma..." Ain cried to himself, "Please be okay..."

Just then, he remembered a prayer that his parents would say during struggling times. Will it help if he does it for his mother?

The boy closed his eyes and clasped his hands together. He then prays to the goddess,

"Dear Goddess Ishimal, please save ma and baby. I don't want them to huwt anymore. I juss want to see them soon. Please, Ishimal..."

---

Ain stayed in his sitting position for what seemed like hours, hoping that his father would say something soon. He began to notice that his mother's screaming had significantly died down.To his shock, it was quickly replaced with a baby's cry.

"It's a healthy baby girl!" the midwife was heard.

Ignoring what his father told him, Ain barged into the room and found his mother sleeping peacefully, much to his relief. His father was smiling as tears streamed down from his eyes. The midwife, having just finished washing the baby in the bath bin, wrapped it in one of the towels that Ain brought.

"...Ma?" Ain called out, now standing by his father's side.

His mother slowly opened her eyes before giving her child a cheeky smile. "See? I told you that I will be okay." she told him, "Thank you for worrying about me."

The midwife cleared her throat to grab their attention. "Congratulations on your new child, Mrs, and Mr. Ardlet." she happily stated, giving the baby for the mother to hold.

Mr. Ardlet then bowed to her in respect.

"Thank you so much for providing my wife so much support....even if I was a nervous wreck the whole time."

"Haha, you husbands are all the same."

Ain stares intently at the baby, wondering how her small stature could have such squishable, pulpy-looking cheeks.

"This is your little sister, Ain. From now on, you will be her big brother. Try to get along, okay?" said his father.

"Eyes awe blue just like ma's." Ain pointed out to his sister's eyes.

Ms. Ardlet giggled, "And it looks like she has her father's gray hair just like you."

"I want ma's bwuan hair too!"

They laughed.

"Eilidth, what should we name our little girl? She's beautiful," asked Mr. Ardlet.

"Well...I was thinking about one for a while now. How about Harnier?" she started cuddling with the baby in her arms.

"It means 'God's gift of hope.'"

"It's perfect."

"Hello... Hawnia." the boy greeted before reaching out to hold onto her little finger. She's so fragile, he thought.

"Bah..." the baby belched.

Ain's eyes widened, surprised by her response.

"Da, Ma! I think she said hi back!" he smiled, oblivious to the fact that it was only a burp.

His parents simply laughed.

"You two are going to get along fine." said the boy's mother, "From now on, we are a family of four."

-----

A/N: I will gladly appreciate constructive feedbacks and reviews. They are what fuels my motivation after all. Look out for future chapters!

Thanks for reading!