39

Karlee
(a/n no lie I feel like Karlee is irrelevant 😂 but it's fine)

I was staying over Vanessa's old house in Canada for a while now. I'm afraid to leave her alone. She won't go anywhere, she's been in her old room with Luke for the past week. She eats one meal a day. I don't even remember the last time she's gotten fresh air. I would try to open the window but she'd always tell me to close it because Luke will get too cold.

"Please just at least be in the living room. It's getting stuffy in here." I say.

"Maybe you should ask Luke that." Vanessa shrugged.

I sigh, "Lukey do you want to go downstairs?"

"Yes!" He sat up quickly.

I look at his mom who stared at him, "Vanessa, babe, please just get fresh air. Eat a snack. Do something just- just get out of this room."

"Fine, I'll make Luke a peanut butter sandwich. Which I'm not gonna eat." Vanessa said holding out her arms so she can carry him.

I let them walk down in front of me, because I know Vanessa will be sneaky and run back in the room.

She turned around, "I forgot my phone."

"I got it." I hold it up.

She gave me a small smile. I know there's a lot on her mind, if Dylan is okay with Gilinsky, slowly regretting coming back to Canada with Luke but Canada has the help we need for Luke. I tried telling Gilinsky to at least convince her to sleep. It never works.

Vanessa sat Luke on the couch as I turned on the tv. She went to the kitchen and took out the peanut butter.

"Ness I got it. Go to the porch, get fresh air." I said walking to her.

"The window is open, I can get fresh air from there."

"You're just going to close it."

"I'll be outside for only one minute, okay?"

"That's something. That's all I want." I said spreading the peanut butter onto the bread.

"Oh, Karls, can you make one extra one.."

"Got it." I said smiling knowing that one is going to be for her.

+ + +

It's been one hour since Vanessa stepped out. I kept looking at the glass door to see if she was okay. She was, she kept taking pictures of the snow. Luke took a short nap. He's been wanting to go outside and play but he doesn't have any snow clothes. Which I do not know why he doesn't, Vanessa said she'll buy him some.

As I was watching Paw Patrol with Luke I got a notification from Instagram saying that 'VaanessaaDaay just shared a post' I smiled at my phone screen. I looked at the door and see Vanessa smiling. That's the first time in a while since I've seen her smile.

I open the app and read the caption. 'forgot how to love you 🤔 | HAPPY THANKSGIVING FAM!!!' Fuck sake, she's still stuck on Matt. I look at the picture and I'm honestly surprised to see that she looks good, but she isn't actually doing so good.

I hear the door open, "That was a short minute right?"

"Ness, it's been a hour." I said.

"Really?" She said calmly.

"Mommy," Luke got up, "My head hurts."

"Did you hit your head?" Vanessa asked rubbing her hand against his forehead.