chapter one

BLAME

❝fall upon your knees, sing: 'this is my body and soul here'❞

fall upon your knees, sing: 'this is my body and soul here'❞

☢︎

rain. it pelts me and slides down my skin. i hover over the kid's unconscious body, wiping my mouth free of the blood that drips from my lip. i crack my knuckles and step away from him. his brown hair clings to his skin. i probably bashed his skull in by the way he's bleeding from his mouth.

"we should go," solana murmurs, nodding towards the bright lights that flash. it's a patrol. i nod and sprint into the darkness. my hood serves as a mask for my identity. on nights like this, we blend in with the shadows.

i hop the fence in the alleyway, landing on discarded crates. cats meow and rats scatter as we sprint down the dark passage. i kick off the smooth, metallic wall of a home and latch onto the fire escape. i swing my legs up. i thank whatever god there was for my ungodly upper body strength.

"you kicked his ass," ariana squeaks, hiding her laughter with the back of her hand. "he'll be tasting blood and pavement for the rest of the week." i laugh along with her.

"he deserves it," i explain, sucking on a bloodied knuckle to try and ease the stinging pain. "anybody who tries to rat us out needs to be taught a lesson. i'm not about to get in trouble because of a lousy snitch."

"you didn't have to spin his jaw!" luke protests, his slinky pink tongue swiping over his lip ring. "even i felt that." my laughter increases. luke has always been the joker of our little group.

our laughter gradually dies down. we bask in the rain and silence, staring down at the city below. we are the notorious thieves of our neighborhood. it's not our fault, though. our families don't come from very wealthy backgrounds and don't do shit to help themselves. i don't blame my younger siblings, though. they are only nine and six, completely incapable of fending for themselves.

"did you hear about lucky?" i frown. the platinum blonde boy is pretty well-known in our community. handsome, womanizer, and luck—ironically—are three traits that come to mind when his name is mentioned. despite being underage, he's our hook-up for any alcohol or even drugs. should you need a pick-me-up, he's got the perfect—and the best—stuff to help you. trust me, i know.

"what happened?" louis asks as he tugs on his scraggly beard. we surround the brunette, watching as he licks his dry lips once more.

"got caught," my eyes widen and my blood turns to ice. lucky was unlucky this time? "saw him selling drugs and shipped his ass up to earnshaw." i swallow nervously.