Prologue: Today

Monroe Kiefer Choi, had first sauntered his way into my life on a stuffy, summer day, in mid-August.

The new resident, Asian family, was undeniably picture-perfect. Their well put together image, and neat dresses, made them look like the sort of family who said "golly", or went to church every Sunday, and stayed back to confess sins, that probably were somewhere along the lines of being "sorry for missing church last week, because my son fell sick".

The four-piece family was relatively organized. The cardboard boxes that obviously contained their belongings were flat from the top, and undamaged from the outside. The labelling on them was written in a neat cursive, in a black marker. The tape sealing the boxes wrapped around it in an immaculate, straight line along each of the containers' faces.

When the mother, and a little girl had first stepped out of the car, in their pastel pink, below the knee dresses, along with the father, who was dressed in a baby blue, dress shirt, and black dress pants, and shoes, nothing had seemed out of the ordinary. They looked like the average church going family. I had expected a boy with the same dressing style to pop out of the car. I had expected what would be a standard looking, and lanky boy. What I hadn't expected was, Monroe Kiefer Choi.

Even though the new, boy next door was dressed in Church essentials, his hair was strikingly different to his attire.

His long, and neatly bleached, then coloured hair, was tied back in a messy bun, with strands of mint slipping out from behind. As the harsh, dry summer wind had blown, his mint hair, glided along with it, and maybe along with the wind, my heart had wandered away to the worst of places.

To him.