The Lone Beauty

Prologue

Year: 2014 Day: January 1

(Author’s POV)

This story starts with showing a television on a certain fancy hotel room. One could see how happy the people shown live on the television were. They were celebrating and with all jolliness they spoke and sang in unison...

5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Happy New Year!!

Should old acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind?

Should old acquaintance be forgot, and auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne my dear, for auld lang syne,

We’ll take a cup of kindness yet, for auld lang syne.

And surely you’ll buy your pint cup! And surely I’ll buy mine!

And we’ll take a cup o’kindness yet, for auld lang syne.

We two have run about the slopes, and picked the daisies fine;

But we’ve wandered many weary foot, since auld lang syne.

We two have paddled in the stream. From morning sun till dine;

But seas between us broad have roared since auld lang syne.

And there’s a hand my trusty friend! And give us a hand o’thine!

And we’ll take a right good-will draught, for old lang syne.

Happy New Year! Happy New Year!

Fireworks sparked. People danced, some clanked their pints of liquor, some admired the fireworks display, and some greeted each other. The television showed people in unity and in belongingness. It was as if the whole world was there, celebrating and merry-making.

But in this fancy hotel room from where this boisterous television stands, it was strangely silent. No hint of celebrating was there. No wine, no food, no decor or anything. It was quiet. But if we were to listen carefully and shift our spotlight away from the television, we could hear a faint sound of water splattering inside the bathroom. As if on purpose, the bathroom’s door was not locked. It was halfway opened that if someone was inside, he could hear the sounds of the TV.

As a matter of fact at this very moment, someone is really there. This is not some sort of peeping or peeking but to satisfy our curiosity we looked inside, in order to see a girl lying on the bathtub. She was fully dressed, leading us to think that she was not taking a bath. She stood there still. With careful examination, we began to notice she was holding some sort of knife on her right hand.

Without any warning, blood came rushing out her left wrist. It covered the crystal clear water, making the colour thick with crimson red. If any of us were to stand there at that moment, we could have fainted from the sight.

All of us would sum up that she, this girl, had committed suicide at exactly midnight on new years’ day. She wasn’t breathing or moving. She was lying dead like a corpse. This girl, our main character is dead.

This very scene seems like the ending of the story but folks, to tell you honestly, this is just the beginning. For before the curtains closes our view,

(Scary drum rolls....)

.....all of the sudden her eyes opened.

___________________

Present Day

125 years ago, Year 2014 the first of January, a genetic virus broke out in the west. People were nonchalant about it at first but that changed when it began to spread throughout the world and like wildfire caused death to thousands of people. At that time nobody ever knew a thing or two about the illness except that it is lethal and it only threatens the women population. The whole world was alarmed. The leaders of each country worked all their butts on the issue, each with their own process of doing it and each on their own businesses. But when the matter began to get much worse than they could handle, they decided to group up all their capable scientists to form a secret organization that would, if possible, find the solution to this deadly disease. What other choice do they have? Cross out any political adversaries. What matters is to put an end to this plague. What would happen to the human race if all women, who are the only ones capable of bearing offspring’s, die? What would be the future of the generation? 

The said presence of that organization and any news about it never surfaced, that’s because its existence and operations were never made public. But one day, it just suddenly disappeared mysteriously without any trace. I do not know if they ever did find the solution they were looking for or if they did come close into finding one. Nobody was sure of what happened. There was no witness. Of course, there was none. It was already so long ago. But, it is likely they did not succeed. They failed, for currently at this present day, no women as such exist.

...

And if there is, I believe the whole world would be hysterical.