Pain of Death

In my most relaxed state of mind I hold myself together by mere threads. The pain hasn't gone away from me but rather digs deeper as a knife would to your chest, sliding between your ribs and twisting through. It manages to spread to my heart, corroding it of all pure joy and memory of my love. No greater pain is there than knowing that grief is the one behind the knife. Pulling it out and stabbing it continuously throughout my body. Why can such an emotion attack you until you're on your knees begging and barely breathing? My heart was broken the day I lost you to the most hated enemy. I lost you to the ground where I can no longer see your glowing face; I can no longer caress your body. My heart shattered to an unfixable state as I watched you take your last breath. The part of my heart that you held was ripped out and taken with you and I no longer know how to feel your presence. Your loving smile and joyous laugh is no longer in my possession. I've been robbed, and beaten down by that constant reminder. Funny how death works. It takes that one person you absolutely loved so deeply, with all of your heart, and crushes your spirit forever giving nothing in return. My throat burns every time I go to the last place I saw you because I try so hard to swallow, and push down that raging emotion to hide it from the world, believing I'm the only one who understands it. Death is like dominos. One flick of pain and they all come crashing down, one person after another scarred with heartbreak.