Chapter 2

I hear a little knock on the door, close the computer and stand up. I walk across the room and open the door only to see my sister Sarah standing in front of my door.

"What do you want?" I ask her. Not harshly, more like 'sisterly'. She has a strange look on her face.

"Can I come in?" She asks me and I nod. She sits down on my bed and I sit down next to her. I notice that she's looking me straight in the eye.

"What's wrong?" I ask her. She pauses before she answers.

"I heard mom and dad talking last night. They thought that I was asleep." She says slowly, still looking me in the eye.

"And what did they say?"

"Are you... are you really my sister?" She asks me and I let go of her hand that I had taken in mine a few seconds ago. She notices my reaction so I try to hide it by smiling.

"Of course I am."

"No you're not. I heard them talking about 'Jenny's mother'." 

I pause. I know that she needs to know the truth.

"Well.. honestly I'm not your sister."

I see tears form quickly in her eyes and her lower lips starts shaking a tiny bit.

"Then what are you?" She asks.

"I'm not your sister like Jane and Tony are your siblings. I'm your half-sister." I tell her.

"What's a half-sister?" 

"It's a sister that doesn't share the same mother or father with the other. But we have the same dad."

"Where is your mom?"

"In France."

"Why?"

"She's working there. But sweetie, don't you have homework to finish?" I ask her to avoid talking about my mom. She understands right away why I'm changing the subject and nods.

I walk behind her to the door and shut it when she leaves the room. I lean my back on the door and take a deep breath. Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry! I tell myself. I can't even think about my mother without tears filling my eyes. 

Suddenly I hear a little sound that comes from the laptop. I've gotten a new e-mail.