Prologue

3 years ago...

"Dad, I'm scared."

I don't turn around to look at him. I knew mom was in the stands somewhere cheering me on. But I couldn't look up to find her. My hands were shaking as I held the stick in my hands.

I had been playing hockey in the boys league for eleven years now, so you'd think these boys woudn't shake me but they did. I watched as one flew past me and grabbed a puck and shot it directly into the goal. I took a step back into Dad and he placed two hands on my shoulders turning me around.

"These punks have nothing on you, Max. You're the daughter of Jack Vella, the best NHL player to ever come through Colby Hill. You'd be a legend here."

I rolled my eyes, Dad never turned down an opportunity to boast about his days in the NHL before his accident that forced him to retire at only 31. He's never gotten over it and when I was younger he was the one who pushed me towards hockey so he could live out the rest of his dream through me. Somedays I'd wonder if he'd rather I was a boy, things would've been a lot easier. He's had to fight male dominated leagues just as much as I have to get me on all the clubs and leagues I've been in. And Colby Hill was no different.

But it wasn't like I had a choice. There were no women's teams my age around here. Not unless I wanted to go into Portland to play.

I stole a quick glance back at the ice. My shaking still hadn't stopped.

"Max, hey, look at me." Dad calls out drawing back my attention. "Don't worry about the others. They're teenage boys, they're idiots. Trust me. Focus on you, focus on the puck and doing your best. They will try to tear you down but you can't let them. You've got what it takes to make this team. You're Max Vella, the next big thing, so show these boys that!"

The corners of Dad's mouth lifted in a strong smile and finally I felt the encouragement reach into me. The tremor stopped. I could do this.

"You're right. I will make the team and when I'm a Senior, I'll be captain." I say confidently.

Dad chuckles. "It's your freshman year, let's focus on the first one, and then the rest will fall into place."

I gave Dad a quick hug before I strapped my helmet on and tore on to the ice.