Life On Mars

I've never really thought about this kind of thing before, until now. There are so many things that we, as humans, take for granted and never really stop and take the time to appreciate. Like the cool breeze that blows sometimes, or the leaves changing color, or the first snowfall.

I'll really miss my family. My mom, even though she scolds me for the littlest things, or when I've bitten my nails, and even though she put restrictions on my phone, I'll still miss her because she's my mom, and loves and cares for me, and just wants the best for me. Even though it may not seem like it at times. Even though she's not my biological mother, she still chose to take me into her care, and loves me as her own.

I'll miss my dad, even though he gives me extra algebra problems for practice, and yells at me for being sloppy and messy, but I still know he loves me and wants the best for me. And even though he's not my biological dad, it's still a fact that he loves me and chose to have me. And he chose to have me over a boy when deciding.

And somehow, I'll miss my sister, even if we bicker our foolish heads off every day and she bugs me and I bug her, and when she's extremely immature and still laughs at people farting even though she's a senior in high school.

I'll miss my dog, Gizmo, and my bird, Kiwi. Even if Gizmo always bugs me and insists that I play with him, even when I'm in a bad mood, and when he does gross things like bringing in cicadas as "gifts" from his adventures outside. I'm sure I'll also miss Kiwi- even though he bites me at least three times a day, and spits his food out at me when he's annoyed or mad at me. And even if he's a slob.

I'll miss fooling around with my friends during lunch and study, and bickering, correcting, and laughing with them. Even if they're jerks sometimes.

I'll miss my group for Ethnic Foods, even though they're complete jerks and couldn't cook right to save their lives.

I'll also miss being able to grow up and go to high school and eventually college to be a lawyer who's (hopefully) known around the entire world.

That's also something I'll miss: being known. To have the chance to have my presence acknowledged, and cared about. Even if the whole school went to Mars with me, nobody would really know my name- and I wouldn't have the chance to change that.

The last thing I'd miss is very personal.

I wouldn't have the opportunity to find my biological parents. Of course, I love my parents, but my curiosity speaks there. I want to know who they are and why they gave me up. Who my other relatives would have been, and what my life would have been like if I hadn't been adopted and lived with my birth mother. How I would have changed and grown. And if you want to laugh at that reason, then so be it.

Sure, I'd miss having a proper bathroom, and having my own bed and bedroom, my beloved stuffed animals (like Cluck T. Chicken!), my phone and laptop, etc., but these are things I would miss the most and prioritize over all else.

I wouldn't want to go to Mars, but if I did have to go, then these are the things I would miss the most.