Chapter 6

You walked over slowly towards the old corded telephone on the counter and hesitated before picking it up. "Ellen?"

"Y/N sweetie, we've got a big problem."

"What do you mean?" your voice was shaky at best. You never thought you'd hear from Ellen Harvelle again. Or, at least, you were hoping you wouldn't.

"I just got a call from Dean. Sam's looking for you."

You shuttered at that name. This was what you feared most of all. Your biggest fear was coming to life and all you wanted to do was run away again.

"How the hell is that possible, Ellen? Nobody recovers from the results of my Gift. Nobody!"

"I don't know, sweetheart, but right now that's where we're at. Dean called me panicking asking if I'd seen or heard from Sam. Apparently he ran off with his car. Bobby's already got an APB out for Sam, but so far nothing yet."

"Ellen, you remember your promise, right?"

"Of course I do. But Y/N, eventually we're not gonna be able to lie to Sam or Dean. They're too damn crafty and you know it."

You grimaced at her words, knowing all too well she was right.

Ellen handed you a straight vodka on the rocks and held you as you cried, Jo rubbing soft circles on your back. You'd just done the one thing you never thought you'd have to do. You erased the memories of your boyfriend and his brother and then took off. You were certain they were still unconscious at the motel two towns over. You'd even swapped license plates on your truck to ensure nobody would follow you.

"I'm so stupid and selfish, Ellen," you cried into the older woman's abundant chest.

"No, sweetie, you're not stupid." Ellen shushed you, smoothing your hair away from your face "But you're selfish for the right reasons. Believe me, nobody chooses the life of a hunter. And there's only one way it ends. You're doing the right thing. You gotta take care of yourself."

You sniffed and looked up at her with beady eyes, and Ellen just gave you a sympathetic smile. You went back to hugging her, your sobs quieting with each breath you took.

"So, what now?" Jo spoke up softly. "Even if they don't remember you, Bobby will Y/N. Eventually he's gonna come looking for you, you're like a daughter to him! And we're gonna be his first stop on the 'Burn Down the World To Find Y/N Grand Tour.' What are we supposed to say? What are we supposed to do?"

You sniffed once more, then an idea struck you.

"I'll call Bobby. He'll believe it if he hears it from me. He knows I wouldn't do anything to hurt Sam or Dean, especially Sam."

"You sure about that?" Ellen inquired. "Want me here just in case?"

You thought about it over a pregnant pause, then agreed. "Yeah, I'll call him now."

"Use the Roadhouse phone. The signal's shit here."

You nodded and got up to walk around the bar and grabbed the phone. Ellen recently upgraded to a cordless landline, so she could walk around the bar and talk if need be. Which was great because you were gonna need the speakerphone feature that the old rotary telephone from bar's past didn't have.

You dialed Bobby's personal landline number that wasn't tied to hunter business and waited for what felt like an eternity for him to pick up.

"Well if it isn't the Roadhouse Queen herself," Bobby answered in an unusually cheerful voice. "How are ya Ellen?"

"Uncle Bobby?" you spoke in a timidly quiet voice.