December 17

Day 4 deathlies - The Sidemen

This is a one-shot featuring characters from deathlies' books, head over to her profile and check them out!

🎄🎄🎄🎄

Christmas Tree Shopping; Simon Minter [Miniminter]

"Don't you think it's a little early to be getting our tree?" Simon questioned, frowning with his hands dug deep into his pockets. It was cold and he did not want to be there one bit.

Adela had dragged him out of bed that morning with light in her eyes and a grin upon her mouth, well what she could manage with a toothbrush hanging out the corner. She didn't leave the bedside until he got out, knowing him all too well and knowing better than to leave him to fall asleep again.

"It's already the third. By my family's traditions, we're already late," She replied, her breath visible in the air. She held Simon's arm as they walked into the garden centre looking for the perfect tree to decorate beyond recognition with baubles, lights and the sparkling silver star Adela's Mum had bought for them as a house warming present.

"Late?" Simon's voice was almost a squeak. He knew that the Chase family celebrated Christmas hard core, but he didn't know it would be this intense. He was almost certain that Adela hadn't stopped smiling since the first of the month and wouldn't stop until the New Year, which was much more up Simon's street.

"Yes, late!" Adela tugged him between the rows of Christmas trees. "Mum would wonder what had gotten into me." She started to lift up one tree, which Simon then had to help her with because it was almost two feet taller than her.

"Okay, let's go and pay then," Simon said, beginning to take the tree over to one of the employees to be netted.

Adela's face caved into a deep cut frown as she remained put where she stood, holding onto the tree as he tried to move it away from her. What on Earth was he doing? It was as if he'd lived under a rock his entire life and didn't even know how to celebrate Christmas properly.

"Are you coming or?"

"Are you joking?" Adela replied, gloved fingers still tight around the tree trunk. "We can't just pick the first one and buy it. There's a whole process of comparison and deliberation until we eventually just end up back at the first tree anyway."

"So, let's save time and just buy this one?" He tried to take the tree from her again, but she didn't move once more.

"That's not how this works," Adela told him. "We need to look at more because this is a once a year thing and I am going to get enjoyment out of this even if you aren't." She let go, stuffing her hands into her pockets.

"Okay," Simon muttered, putting the tree back. Seeing the sad look on her face instantly made his stomach sink. He wrapped his arm over her shoulder as they continued to walk down the rows, Adela scanning each tree's features. "How do you know if it's a good tree?"

"The perfect tree is in proportion, width and height wise, and got enough colour left. The best part is the smell. That's why I wanted a real one because the smell is irreplaceable," She explained, her cheeks rosy with the cold and her nose tipped red. "How about this one?" She said, reaching for the one before them, which Simon helped her with and held as she stepped back to analyse it. "Okay, I think this one is our perfect tree."

"Don't you think it's a little tall?" Simon asked sheepishly, not wanting to upset her again but also not wanting to have to cut a hole in his ceiling just to please her.

"Trust me, it's perfect."

It was most definitely not perfect. Just like he'd suspected, it was way too tall for their living room and the top had to bend just for it to stand upright.

"So, you were right," Adela finally said as they'd both stood there staring at the crooked tree for a moment. "You're going to have to cut the top off if we want it to look good, and if we want to get the star on."

"On it," Simon told her, kissing her cheek before disappearing into the kitchen in search of scissors.

He was back before she knew it and cutting the tip of the tree off, and they soon decorated the tree with an assortment of warm white lights, Santa red baubles and finally they were left with the star.

"Simon?" Adela began, her voice soft and sweet as she turned to him with wide, brown eyes that glittered in the Christmas lights. "Help me put the star on the tree?"

He made the mistake of looking right into her begging gaze, not being able to resist that look. He never had been and probably never would. With a sigh, he turned around and crouched down, letting her clamber onto him for a piggy-back.

She got right on and was reaching for the top of the tree before he had even stood up, excited to complete their first tree together. With one hand gripping his shoulder, she reached the star onto the tree and felt a happiness swell into her heart as she slipped off his back and wiggled under his arm as they stepped back from the tree to look at their masterpiece.

"It's wonderful," She breathed, head resting on his chest as he stood behind her, his chin resting on her head. Without a word, Adela turned to him with the brightest grin he had ever seen upon her face and said, "I love you."

And maybe that was the greatest gift of all.

"I love you too," He replied, his own beaming smile spreading across his expression as they met in a sweet kiss beside their beautiful Christmas tree.