The Centuria

Perched upon the crest of this hill, as still as a cat, I observe this twinkling city. Unsuspecting, poor souls doze dreamily in their warm beds, unaware of the horror about to be unleashed upon them. The black night reveals the city for what it really is, a sprawling spider web of lights, blinking, shining, illuminating the chilly night. Few pairs of headlights dot the streets and many of the lights in the windows of businesses are dim. We will hit them where it hurts, when they are most vulnerable. We will turn this city to hell.

Narrowing my eyes to slits, I leap off the boulder on which I was balanced and land silently and nimbly in a crouch as I have been trained. Slowly, I stand at full height, my black stealth suit hugging my fit frame. Levi stomps around in his chunky-soled combat boots, thumping and rustling just as we have been instructed not to do.

Leviticus.” I hiss, my voice feral and slick, “Silence!”

Levi rolls his eyes at me but his feet silence as he stands still. A breeze drifts over the crest of our hill, so far over this nesting city and I breathe deeply. Somewhere down there he is asleep. In just a few hours’ time I will have killed him and Levi and I can return to base, our home that never truly was one.

My hand slips down to my waist and closes around the chilled hilt of my dagger. My fingers twitch with anticipation. We were bred for this. Fifteen years of training, all for this, for that glorious moment when his throat will give way beneath my blade…

I gaze up to the stars, the only sense of time we have when carrying electronics becomes too risky, and find that it is time to move in. I nod at Levi who seems, despite the thickness of his useless skull, to understand. He squares his broad shoulders, runs his fingers through his messy, blonde hair, and draws his dagger, a sinister glint in his hardened blue eyes.

“Come on, Levi,” I mutter as I turn to leave our hideout, “We’ve got a war to start.”