Chapter One; part one

Kai hires Rose to be his bodyguard.

I wake up tired, not like that is different from any other day. I never really sleep good...I grab my phone and dress myself quickly, a nice black dress shirt and pressed black pants. I slide on my black nude stiletto platform boots. I snatch my keys off the counter as I head downtown. It's 5:00 pm, so most people are just getting off work. I stop by McDonald's and get some chicken nuggets and a coke. I munch on them as I walk to work.

   The club lights are still off, not for very long though. I open the door to the club as I finish my nuggets. I reach the bar, tossing my nugget box in the trash "Aye Rose! Turn the bar lights on already will ya!" I scowl, Rob is already drunk. I flick on the lights and step behind the counter, carefully rearranging the cups and glasses. I grab my phone out of my pocket and look through my messages, before scrolling through Instagram.

After a few minutes music starts playing and the club lights go off, all except the neons on the wall which are flashing exotically. People begin to enter the club, talking casually in their groups. I get a few orders, mostly shots and whiskey. A bridal shower comes through and I start making fruity drinks and jello shots. Bridal showers are my favourite type of event, they are always so fun. I see the stage lights come on and turn my attention to it, most of the drinkers have slowed for now anyhow.

   I see the curtains open and a thin man step onstage. He takes the pole confidently and the ladies from earlier start cheering, throwing cash onstage. The man swings himself on the pole, looking elegant. I turn my attention to making drinks, thinking about the man on the stage. I've never seen him here before, must be from out of town... I work most of the evening, stoping periodically to watch the man onstage. He was good, better than most girls I've seen on the pole.

   The club is going to close soon, I start cleaning, stacking cups and wiping the bar down. I see the curtains close and the club lights come on. The people who are still here start filling out the door, blissfully drunk. I finish cleaning and clock out, walking behind the stage to meet the man from tonight's show. I see the rooms, there are four rooms; two changing rooms, a manager's office and a supply closet.

   I knock on the first changing room, I don't get a response so I go to the next and do the same. I hear a muffled noise from inside. There is some banging from inside and I feel my ears twitch with anxiety. I jiggle the handle, it's locked. There are more sounds of a struggle pouring through the door. Something is wrong. I slam into the door with my shoulder, it doesn't budge. I slam into the door a few more times, bursting through on the fourth try. I rush into the room, seeing Rob on top of the man from the stage, who was struggling under his weight.

   I pull Rob off the man, slamming him unto the floor. In a flash I punch him in the stomach, hearing the air rush from his lungs as I punch him in the side of his head. He falls unconscious, his limbs going slack. I stand and go over to the man. I smile weakly. "Are you okay? Do I need to take you to the hospital?" I say, looking the man over, checking for cuts or places where bruises are going to form.

   "No, no.....I'm fine. You wouldn't believe how often this happens to me." He says, standing shakily.

   I frown, putting a hand out, "I'm Rose, I work here....." I say, suddenly aware how shitty that makes me look. " I don't plan on working here much longer though, it's only something to keep food on my table...." I stutter, watching as the man grips my hand.

   "I'm Kai." He says, shaking my hand cautiously.