3

Two Months Ago, The Wittorf Residence

"I don't wanna be here but I'm sure you know that," I say bluntly as I glance around the room.

"Your parents did mention you weren't very enthusiastic about these sessions," she says calmly, resting her hands on her notepad in her lap.

"Not very enthusiastic? That's such a nice way to say I don't want to be here. I'm gonna start using that. Dad, I'm not very enthusiastic about writing this speech for my boyfriend's funeral. Hey Alex, I'm not very enthusiastic about your best friend's death either. I'm not very enthusiastic about going back to school. Great stuff. Definitely going to be using that from now on. "

"Humor. Common coping strategy. " she says while jotting down notes.

"Oh, that was funny? Well I guess my boyfriend's death brought out the comedian in me. Maybe I should start stand up, make a little extra cash on the side." I roll my eyes.

"Oh you're right. You're not very funny. My apologies." She smirks at me as she says this, jotting something down on her notepad.

"Oh so you're the comedian now. I don't think this banter is what my parents are paying for."

"You're right Mrs. Davies, how unprofessional of me," she straightens herself in her chair, uncrossing her legs and placing her feet on the floor, she stares me straight in the eyes, "Levi's death is not a joking matter."

I quickly look away, breaking eye contact. Hearing his name brings a lump to my throat and my eyes begin to water. Ever since his death, my family has tip-toed around his name around Alex and I. Hearing it again brings back a flood of memories that I force myself to block out. I refuse to start bawling during my first session.

"Anyways, sarcasm is a more appropriate term," she breaks the silence.

"Sarcasm?" I ask. Turns out Levi had more of an influence on me than I realized.