4

I made sure all the windows and doors were locked. I did not want anything to happen for the rest of the night. I already had a flashback, and I couldn't let that happen again not when I have my sister to look out for. She was in my care until I can find our parents in this mess. Riots and looting were bound to happen in this chaos, so the police were out of the question in helping me found my parents. I turn on the TV and saw different pictures and videos of the area around French square in complete and utter chaos. It reminded me of a war zone. I had just left one and now I am back in one. I shook those thoughts from my mind and look over the house for my father's gun safe. Looking around for the safe I saw Avery looking outside the window.

"Hey, keep away from the window someone might try something." I turned away before she can reply. Turning away from her younger sister. I look over all the windows and doors locking them and pushing heavy furniture in blocking them, leaving never to the unknown. I go to turn on the TV to see what was going on and how people were responding to this bombing that happen. This is CNN today we have received word that there was some kind of attack in our city during one of the busiest times of the year, we don't know who planted those devices or which group is calming responsibility for this attack, currently, the police and the FBI are looking into this attack, so far there are many that were hurt from running away from the area but our city hospitals are quickly filling up with the injury and the dead we will get back to you with more updates as we get them.

The news went to break and the senses from the French quarter play once again. I close my eyes and replay it from my point of view and shake my head. I lost our parents quickly because of the surrounding chaos. I hear the news going back to another breaking update but it's nothing new from them. They found more bodies and the area of the explosion but nothing about who did it or how to stop the panic that is spreading thought out the city. The sun was setting and there was still no word from our parents, and I have been acting like an ass to my sister. "Hey, Avery" I call out to her.

I can hear her upstairs moving around the old house, pacing worrying about our parents and what's going on outside around us. I turn on the tv to watch different news broadcasts trying to understand what is happening in my city. So far, they all say the same thing about some homegrown group taking credit for the bombing in several areas of the city. I look for more new sources on my phone and quickly scan through several websites before I come across one that isn't affinely with anything major, it was more of a blog with pictures from early today with the large trucks before and after the explosions happen and the mangle bodies burred from the photos but not my mind.

I breathe out hearing something crash upstairs and running up the stairs two at a time racing towards my sister slightly breathless. The door to our mother's art studio was open and I saw her sitting in the middle with spilled paint. "What are you doing?" I ask her. But she said nothing and with pain covering her hands. She shook her hand and turn to face me. "I... I", she couldn't farm a sentence and just look at me with fear and worry in her eyes. I took a breath and step toward my baby sister and hugged her tightly. Her arms wrap around me, and I felt something wet on my shirt and hugged her tighter letting her cry.

It broke my heart. I lost our parents in this mess, but I wasn't prepared for this, no one was ready for anything happening at home unlike in the desert where anyone or anything can kill you. 

Hey there yall sorry for taking forever to write and post, I have been working a lot and recently got hurt on the job so I've been mad and a little crazy but I got into writing and my mood changed so here yall go, and thank you for waiting a long time for an update -❤