THE MEETING

4.) THE MEETING

Devyani**

I got a call last evening. Mr. Aacharya wants to talk to me and I am to report at the office at 10 am sharp.

It was rude and extremely boorish but I said nothing.

The Orphanage is more important than my pride.

Its 9:55 now and I am standing at the same reception desk I was standing yesterday and the same slinky receptionist is giving me the same glare.   

“I am here for an appointment with Mr. Aacharya at 10.” I said

She made a show of checking out her appointment sheet and the directed me to his office where another receptionist was sitting. She was an elderly woman with a hint of white hair and a kind smile.

“Ms. Devyani, Mr. Aacharya is waiting for you in his cabin.” The elderly lady said

Giving her a polite smile I made my way to the door.

I took a deep breath in.

This is it.

 It’s my last chance to save the orphanage.

I opened the door and stepped in.

The same frowning face and expensively suited body glared at me from behind his desk.

“Hello Mr. Aacharya I am Devyani.” I said with all the courage I can muster.

“Oh it’s you.” He said with a venom laced voice. “Do come in Ms. Devyani. We have a lot to talk about.”

I went in sat on the chair in front of his desk as he had motioned me to.

“So you are the owner of Shantialaya.”

“No I don’t own the orphanage. Shanti Devi does. She is the lady who opened the house for the orphan girls like me. I am the first homeless girl she gave shelter to. She gave me love and education. She made me who I am today. And now that I am able to stand on my own foot I want to help the motherly old lady and the girls who are now my sisters.” I said feeling more confident.

“I don’t care a hang about what she did and what you want to do. Tell me what can you do for saving the orphanage.” He said in a bored voice.

A ray of hope…

“I will anything possible to save the place. We will give you rent for the place. Although I can’t afford the rent you asked for yesterday but we can agree on something less.” I said, in high spirits.

“The money or the amount of money you are offering is of no use to me. Tell me how desperately you want to save that place.”

“Sir the way you talk about it don’t set right with me. Yes I want to save the place desperately but I don’t think I’ll be able to do anything that’s against my moral.”

“Don’t worry Ms. Devyani I am going to push you into prostitution, If that’s what you think I am about to do I just want you to apologize to the board for the scene you created that day and tell the media about how I am like a Messiah for the orphanage. In short you are going to work as publicity for my hotel. Then Ms. Devyani you can have your Orphanage all for you.”

That’s it.

I blinked and pinched myself.

This has to be a dream.

“I agree sir. I’ll do it whenever you want.” I said almost jumping with delight. “And the fact that you are letting us keep the Orphanage tells me what a kind and genuine person you are. I am obliged.”

Shantanu**

I don’t know what made me do this. I left the girl without any punishment. But when she came in looking like a scared cat trying to look confident it made me rethink her punishment. I wanted to wring her neck yesterday but when she started talking I felt that humanity in me that was buried very deep down stir awake. I wanted to help her.

But the stern side of me which people say is made up of cold hard stone didn’t alloy to give it all to her like a gift.

So I kept a condition that was as austere as it can be.

This girl means nothing to me. All of this is for my grandmother and for my reputation in boards.

Or so I hope…