« chapter 1 » : slice of heaven

sweet scents welcomed me as i walked in to the neighborhood's bakery.

a wide variety of cakes were displayed in the display case. chocolate raspberry, red velvet, or even grape? you name it and they have it.

my mouth salivated as i stared at all the cakes in awe, how did they manage to look so good every time!

"ji hyeon, quit staring! you're scaring away all the customers with how you're drooling all over my display!" the shop owner, grandma kim, who i had known since i was ten, chided me.

"a piece of red velvet cake i suppose?"

i nodded and continued to stare (and drool) at all the cakes. they are so addictive, maybe grandma puts some drugs inside. the thought of it cracked me up, and i giggled to myself.

"excuse me young lady, how dare you slander the name of my establishment? there are none of those drugs that you young people do nowadays, in there! only love!" grandma kim said as she packed up my large slice of red velvet cake. she knows how much i love it so she always gives me a enormous slice.

"ji hyeon, you really need to control this habit of yours, you say everything you have on your mind! no wonder you have no boyfriend!" wagging her finger at me, i saw her slip a small card in. new marketing strategy? i don't know, i just want to get my cake.

i paid grandma, quickly bid a goodbye and left. i was so ready to dig into that slice of heaven.

i looked at the rustic looking bakery from outside as i was leaving, and noticed a peculiar chalkboard standing outside.

i read the tiny font:
1. come to our shop buy a cake
2. give it to your crush and tell him if the cake is tasty, we should be together
3. cakes from our shop are delicious, so you'll definitely succeed
* if he turns you down, please come to our shop again, we will give you a cup of hot coffee to splash on his face.

i chuckled at the chalkboard, i wonder how i didn't notice it earlier, maybe my love for cake was so big that it blinded me. interesting marketing strategy, grandma...