Chapter 1: Sleepy

Mike looks out the basement window watching the heavy snow fall down from the sky. It was only 6:30 AM but he couldn't fall back asleep. Mike looks over at Eleven, she's still sleeping in her fort all snuggled up in pillows and blankets fast asleep. He smiles just looking at her. God he loved her. He takes a moment to appreciate how lucky he is just have El in his life. Man, did he love her.

Mike thinks back to the day before when he asked his mom if he could go sledding with El and the boys. She said that they wanted everyone to stay indoors due to the states safety hazards. All he wanted to do was go outside and teach El how to go sledding. At the time he thought that his mom was talking nonsense and stormed off from her, but as he looked outside watching the snow continue to pill on he realized just how serious the conditions were.

He sighed. I guess they were going to have to stay indoors for now, he thought.

"Mike?" El said, just above a whisper.
Mike turned around looking at El who seemed to have noticed his disappearance.

"I'm here, El" Mike said. Walking back over towards her fort.

El stands up draping a blanket over herself and meeting him halfway. Mike opens his arms and takes her into a warm embrace. She clings to him just resting her head on his shoulder for a minute.

"You okay?" El says. Looking up at Mike with those adorable big brown eyes.

"Yeah" Mike says. "Just couldn't sleep, that's all".

"Oh, okay". Eleven says, yawning. Clearly still really tired and not fully awake yet. She rests her head back on his shoulder, pulling him tighter in a hug.

"Okay, Sleepy. Go back to bed" Mike says, laughing.

"No, it's okay. I can stay awake", El says. Clearly not wanting to leave his arms, But she was already starting to nod off against him.

Mike pulled the blanket tighter around her and led her over to the couch. He helped her lay down, tucking her in and making sure she had a comfy pillow under her head. Mike planned to go back to the window and watch the snow continue to fall for a little longer. He turned to go but felt her hand lightly tug on his.

"Stay. Just for a little" Eleven whispered. Mikes heart melted.

He smiled and laughed. Mike would hold her forever if she'd let him. He lifted up the blanket and crawled inside beside her. She sleepily readjusted herself, climbing ontop of mike, laying on his chest. She tucked her head just under his chin. Mike pulled her closer, wrapping his arms around her.

Mike wasn't tired but he didn't care one bit. He felt El's breathing slow down as she started to drift off to sleep. He could feel the rhythm of her heartbeat against his chest. He smiled. His life was perfect. Soon his eyelids started to get heavy, and he too was sound asleep.