Wetlands

At dinner, you were surprised to see your butlers back. Your father was absent, though, which was very unusual. "He's off on a short business trip." Your mother explained as you had dinner, which was simple lasagna and a few different sides. You were allowed to drink in front of Leo now, so you happily drank down your second glass of red wine.

"So that's where he went. Strange, he didn't mention it." Leo said as he ate. "What business is he in?"

"He sells antique jewelry." Your mother said as she sipped on her champagne. He made a lot of money doing that. Collecting the jewelry was a hobby he picked up as a young boy. It really paid off.

"Good money?" He asked and you tuned out the boring small talk, thinking of how amazing your day had been. You'd talked for hours, drank, and done drugs. It was a very good day.

Suddenly your mother's cell phone rang, breaking your thoughts. You looked over as she dug it out of her pocket, glancing down at the glowing screen. Her face fell, her mouth turning into a frown. "It's your father." She said and picked it up. Your father never called when he was on business trips unless it was bad news. "Hello?" She asked, a twinge of concern in her voice. "Oh no. Are you okay? Yes, I can catch the flight now."

Your eyes widened. "Is he okay?"

Your mother ignored you, standing up. "I have to leave, someone is trying to sue your father. I'll explain later, I need to bring the documents on his LaVey necklace to him in Kentucky." She said and called a butler in. "Mark, please go get the documents from Arnie's den. Leo, you don't mind staying here with her for a week or two, do you?"

"Not at all, will everything be alright?" Leo stood up and so did you.

"Yes, he owns the necklace, he bought it, it's his and he has the papers." She said and walked out. You followed her close behind, your heart racing. "I've got to go pack," Mark came around the corner with a briefcase. "Start the car." She said and he nodded, rushing out the front door. Your mother jogged upstairs, leaving you standing in the hall.

"Has this happened before?" Leo asked behind you, standing in the dining room doorway. He seemed concerned, he loved your father and hearing about the possible lawsuit probably worried him.

You nodded, looking up the stairs before turning to face him with your arms crossed. "People love to try to take our money. His artifacts. They jump at every opportunity. One man claims that my father stole from him, another claims he robbed him, it's ridiculous. I hate these money hungry fuc-"

"Alright, I'm leaving now. Stay out of trouble my dearest one." Your mother swooped in behind you and kissed your cheek. "Leonardo, make sure nothing happens to her. I shouldn't be gone for more than two weeks."

"Of course." Leo hugged her, patting her back.

She picked up her bag and kissed you once more before walking out the door. You watched her climb into her car from the window and leave, pulling out of the driveway and to the gate.

"Do you think it will be alright?" Leo asked and you turned to face him, sighing. He saw you didn't want to talk more about it so he changed the subject. "Well, do you want to go to sleep, then?"

"I don't think I'll be able to sleep for a while." You walked back into the dining room and picked up your glass of wine, along with the rest of the almost full bottle. "Want to watch a movie? I'm going to watch one in the theatre."

Leo shrugged. "Sure, I'm going to change. I wish your dinners weren't so formal, no offense." He held up a hand, realizing you might like having to dress up in dresses every single night to eat with the people who made you.