Chapter 20

Colton's POV:

As he drove home, Colton felt like he would smile and frown at the same time. He had let Scarlett in on his feelings towards her. But what were his feelings towards her? Colton still couldn't figure it out. He wanted her, but at the same time he knew that feeling anything for her was dangerous. He spent most of his life forbidding himself from having relationships, knowing that he would hurt women like his father had. He didn't deserve relationships. He especially didn't deserve Scarlett.

Scarlett. Just saying her name made something spark in his heart. She was unlike any woman he'd ever met. She's the only woman that made him feel that maybe, maybe he was worthy.

Colton sighed. Maybe he could give it a try. Maybe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scarlett's POV:

I woke up in the morning feeling anxious but excited. Colton felt something for me. Maybe it wasn't love, but it was something. And anything's better than feeling like your love is one-sided.

I jumped out of bed and decided to dress extra special today. I wanted to see that look in this eyes. After showering, I applied my makeup and combed through my hair. For my outfit, I decided on a flowy pink mini skirt, white blouse that plunged a little low, and a pair of brown heeled booties. I spritzed my perfume and headed out the door.

By the time I got to the office, butterflies were swarming in my stomach. Hell it was only Thursday, but this week seemed like an eternity. I stepped off the elevator and saw Betsy in the hallway.

"Oh! Scarlett honey, where were you yesterday? We missed your glowing face," she said cheerily.

"Umm..I wasn't feeling that great," I said sheepishly.

"Aw no, I hope you feel better now."

"I'm okay, thank you."

I headed to my desk and put my stuff down, pacing in front of Colton's closed door. I fiddled with my hands and finally knocked on his door.

"Come in," I heard Colton say. Taking a deep breath, I opened the door, stepped in, and closed it behind me.

I turned around and faced Colton. He was leaning on his desk with his phone in his hand. Colton looked up and smiled at me. Suddenly I wasn't so scared anymore.

"Hi," I breathed. He stood up and walked over to me.

"Hi," he said quietly. "You look beautiful."

I smiled and he gently took my hand, leading me to the couches.

"We need to talk," he said. I nodded and sat next to him on the couch. But I had to say something first.

"Colton I need to tell you something first," I said feeling nervous.

His brow furrowed and he looked slightly concerned, but he nodded.

I took in a deep breath, my heart thudding wildly in my chest.

"You probably already can tell, but I...I have feelings for you. Strong feelings."

Colton let out a breath and I held my breath in anticipation.

"I kinda had a feeling that you did, but I didn't want to face it. I didn't want to believe it was true," he said. My heart sank.

"Oh...," I said. Colton must've noticed my dejected tone.

"No no. Scarlett. Knowing that you have feelings for me makes me happy, but I didn't want to think about it, because it would force me to confront my own feelings."