Chapter 13

Some nerve he has, calling me dramatic.

"Come on, sweetie. It's going to - "

"Bett! You're here!"

"Lucy, don't run so fast across the driveway, it's not safe!"

Endless giggles and thumps of little feet cut our conversation short. Soon to be followed by the clicking of heels, an 'oomph' and tears.

"See baby, I told you not to run." I turn to see this beautiful woman. Thick and unruly blonde hair, green eyes? (It was hard to tell behind the car window), and a chubby little girl to match.

"Brett, I thought you said you were bringing a friend," she said while trying to hold up the little bundle in her arms.

"I did, she's sitting in the car. Being dramatic." There he goes with that word again.

"Well why aren't you bringing her ins-"

"Bett!" Little hands reached for him, feet kicking in excitement. He scooped her up, cooing softly. Nuzzling her soft cheeks. It's too damn cute and I can't take it.

I reached for the handle, unlocking the door, and stepping out timidly. I hear a little gasp

"Bett, look at," little doll eyes stare down at me, a chubby hand lifted in my direction.

"That's my friend, Lucy," he spoke gently to her, "I was hiding her in my car." She let out a soft giggle as she stared at me.

"Hi Lucy," I said, stroking her little hand, feeling it wrap around my finger. She held my hand, tucking her face into the crook of his neck. I heard a muffled hello in return.

"You okay, sweetie?" His words are directed at me. I smile softly, an-

"You must be our special guest! I'm Brett's cousin, Vanessa." She spoke sweetly to me.

"Yep, the one and only. I'm Aymeline,   it's nice to meet you" I tried to smile in return, but I felt it turning into a grimace.

"Well, let's get inside. We have a big family, try not to get overwhelmed. They're all lovely!" She said not discouraged by my 'smile.

Brett looked down at me, smiling gently.

"Stay close to me, okay?" I nodded in reply, "you're going to have a good time, I promise."

Famous last words.