1: Beginning

The streets of San Diego, California are as harsh as ever, criminals and conspiracies growing like weeds, you pull one and another rises up to take their place. It's the sad fact of how this bustling city works but it's the way of the world.

Katahdin, is a constant and loyal, fifteen-year-old girl. Who is born with a disorder called; ''Dyslexia'' Which leads to forgetting things alot, and she's mostly legally blind. Her & her brother's parents gotten divorced by the time Katahdin was seven-years-old. Mostly because they're parents didn't love each other. And so, they moved on. Nine-years-later, with a full house, everything changed. Katahdin would always get abused by her cousins, aunts, mostly the entire family. But her older brother never treats her like that. Ever. 

To every human being, in the city there is a choice, change the world for better or for ill, but most choose to simply act in survival, wake up, go to work, come home, rest and start all over again the next day. Somewhere in all of this, families are raised, generations are nurtured and life goes on. But like the passing of day into night, darkness also finds haven here, people's stupidity, ignorance and unwillingness comes face to face with the grim streets. It is what it is, a conglomeration of youth, and the feeling of invulnerability.

The police headquarters was a sorry place to spend your day if you didn't have a colleague beside you. Katahdin's short excursion to San Diego had evolved into a full length placement until the case was resolved. For the first few days, her father received calls from her every afternoon. Then she texted.

''When are you coming? -K.''

Then her father finally replied.

''Soon, sweetheart. I'm very busy tonight.-Dad.''

For the last four days there had been nothing. Time to think, and Katahdin had done a lot of thinking. What was it that really galled her about the family? Why was she feeling so awkward around everything? Then the fifteen-year-old girl thought of Josh and somehow couldn't shake the impression that there was an unspoken rivalry between the two of them. Two weeks. Her science partner was showing Josh the sights of her childhood while Springer--her twenty-year-old brother, who is also her history teacher, was confined to the school with a backbreaking work-load and impatient staff breathing down his neck.

If nothing happens then that youth gives way to practical pragmatism and eventually wisdom, for others their lives are tragically cut short by the unfairness of life.

To Be Continued...