This Was It.

(Hi this is author real quick. This is just in case you skipped the bio-thing. If you already read that, then just ignore this. Again, just a small trigger warning. If you're triggered by guns and violence (and a little bit of death), then please be aware that there are some of these elements in this. Ok thank you for reading please enjoy this, and leave some constructive criticism in the comments. -A)

__________________________________________

This Was It.

The last question. We were first in standings, the smartest group at the competition in DC. Thousands of people, families, friends, outsiders looking in, packed the halls; seats filling fast. People were left to stand. Everyone wanted to watch, to bear witness to the final question. To know who, just who the smartest person was. I was on the stand, my group and I. We worked so hard, made it to county, then state, and now the finals. Excitement ate at fear, and I was ready. My question was the last. I was the deciding fate. I made eye contact with my parents and baby sister. They were so proud. So happy. Little Lina was too small to know what was going on, but she had a big smile on my face.

"Miss Jackson, please step forward." I obliged, my stomach bubbling with anticipation. I stood in front of the podium, ready to receive. Papers were shuffled. Anticipation moved everyone to the edges of their seats. The judge in the middle cleared her throat. "Your quest-"

A gunshot.

Chaos.

Bullets rained down on people. I had one thought of questioning my family's survival, but I was hit. Pain bloomed in my stomach like a flower on a thornbush. I hit the ground, hard. My friends were gone, people were scrambling to leave. But it was getting quiet. My breath was leaving, my heart beating it's last.

This Was It.