GIOTTO DI BONDONE RESEARCH PAPER

*** WE NEED TO WIN THIS COMPETITION SO PLZ HELPPPPPPP BY VOTING AND COMMENTING ***

Introduction:

Giotto Di Bondone was the most important Italian painter in the 14th century. Giotto Di Bondone was called the father of Renaissance painting. He painted realistic figures whose faces and gestures show strong human emotions. Giotto's work looked forward to the painting styles of the Renaissance.

During my research, I changed my research question once. I changed my research question because there was too little information about the first research question. The first research question was: How did Christianity influence Giotto Di Bondone " The Adoration of the Magi " painting? I changed my research question by making it more broad. The reason I chose to write a research paper on Giotto Di Bondone was because when I searched up Renaissance painters / paintings, the first thing I saw was Giotto Di Bondone " The Adoration of the Magi " painting.

The reason I chose to research about Renaissance artists is because I used to paint when I was young. Which leads me to my research question. How did Christianity influence Giotto Di Bondone's most famous paintings?

Christianity was a really big part of Giotto's life and he expressed it by painting his most famous works. In two of Giotto's famous paintings " The Adoration of the Magi " and " Ognissanti Madonna ", they both show that he was a Christian and pasts very faithful person.

Evidence and Explanation:

The Adoration of the Magi was influenced by Christianity by being about Jesus and Jesus' birth. The Adoration of the Magi was painted in the 1310s to 1320s. It was one of seven panels that showed the life of Christ. It was painted for the Franciscan church or convent. In the painting, Giotto shows Mary, Joseph, and at least one angel presenting infant Jesus to magi. Three other people there to witness infant Jesus being presented to magi. The three people were people that helped Mary and Joseph go back to their church / home or people that were related to them. Jesus was found by following a star. Which was painted in the middle top part of the painting. Jesus was laid in front of gifts of gold. Everybody was worshipping Jesus which is painted in the painting. The painting was about Jesus's birth and the people who were there to see his birth. The painting was about people's discovery of Jesus. The painting was for the church so it is inspired and influenced by Christianity.

Ognissanti Madonna was influenced by Christianity by being about Jesus. It was painted at the beginning of the fourteenth century. It was painted for the church of Ognissanti ( a church with all saints ) in Florence. It was painted to the majesta. It features Holy Virgin holding baby Jesus. It was commissioned by an obscure religious order called the Humiliati, who were known for their humble, mendicant lifestyle. The Madonna is Mary with or without her son Jesus. Christianity influences this painting by being about the Madonna.

Priests and other religious figures of authority, even the Pope , saw how worshippers responded to his emotional, life-like and profoundly moving frescoes and besieged Giotto with requests to decorate their church.

Conclusion

Christianity was a really big part of Giotto's life and he expressed it by painting his most famous works. His life was influenced by Christianity. Two of his most famous works were both for the church and influenced by Christianity and Jesus. Giotto left a huge impact to the art world and the church. Giotto established many major new conceptual and stylistic elements and he remained influential well into the Renaissance and today. All of Giotto's paintings are somehow influenced by Christianity by being about churches, Jesus's birth, the Madonna, the chapel, and more. Giotto's paintings are important to us because his paintings help us give us perspective from the Renaissance time period and his faith to Jesus.

During the researching process for the research paper, I learned about Renaissance painting and what they thought of Jesus. I learned how important Jesus was to Giotto and other Renaissance people living at the time. The " Ognissanti Madonna " and " The Adoration of the Magi" are 2 of the few remaining Giotto Di Bondone paintings these days. Both of the paintings were heavily influenced by Christianity and were painted for the church. Giotto leaves a huge impact on us today with his paintings and his new developed painting skills and techniques.

Bibliography:

"Giotto di Bondone | The Adoration of the Magi | The Met." The Metropolitan Museum of Art, i.e. The Met Museum, .

"Adoration of the Magi by Giotto di Bondone." The Famous Artists,

"Ognissanti Madonna." Artble, 19 July 2017,

Giotto - the inventor and innovator. - pinpush.Com. hhM&v=1&r=http%3a%2f%2fwww.pinpush.com%2fpainters%2fGiotto-Di-Bondone.htm&p=DevEx,5066.1.

Murray, Peter J. "Giotto." Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, inc., 15 Nov. 2017, .

Portfolio, M. (n.d.). Italy, Tuscany, Florence, Uffizi Gallery. Whole artwork view. Panel... Retrieved December 07, 2017, from

The Adoration of the Magi. (n.d.). Retrieved December 07, 2017, from

Appendix:

This is the painting " The Adoration of the Magi ". It was painted in 1305 - 1306. ( The Adoration of the Magi, 2017 )

This is Ognissanti Madonna. You can see the Holy Virgin holding Jesus and 15 other people beside worshipping them. It was painted in 1306 - 1310. ( Getty Images, 2017 )

*** WE NEED TO WIN THIS COMPETITION SO PLZ HELPPPPPPP BY VOTING AND COMMENTING ***