01

_____

_____

             'THE NUMBER YOU have dialled is not available. Please, try again later.' A long beep sounded afterwards. Aurelia grunted in vexation at the response she received and immediately began typing out a text message.

Crystal,
once you see this call me back ASAP.
- Aurelia, sent at 11:00AM

She locked her phone and slipped it into the back of her jean's pocket, struggling to push the nagging thought of her younger sister towards the deepest pit of her mind.

              Aurelia's distress for her sister was everlasting. After the passing of mom and dad two years ago, Crystal's behaviour took a turn for the worse, and no matter how much their grandparents tried to lather her with unconditional love and reassurance to fill the aching and emptiness in Crystal's heart, Crystal remained indifferent towards their advances.

Aurelia couldn't help the self-condemnation too. She never intended for her sister to face the demons left in the aftermath alone, but she truly had no other choice. Aurelia was offered a full scholarship from a few colleges after high school for her renowned talent in filmography. Objectively after her parent's death, she couldn't afford to pay for a proper tuition fee anymore, so Aurelia had no other choice but to accept a scholarship from a college nearby, the closest one being two states away.

Aurelia didn't mean to leave Crystal in a house full of shambles, but selfishly, she thought that at least Crystal wasn't the one to observe the process that led to their parent's very own downfall. At least she wasn't the one with nightmares clinging on to each part of her memory every night.

And so, she fled for an escape, an easiest outlet that could guarantee her distance from the haunts of it all. Though fourteen hours apart, Aurelia made sure to check up on her younger sister every once in a while, through phone calls despite the guilt that had transpired in her.

"Oh, you're awake!" Aurelia turned her head around to look at the person standing at the door, surprised by the sudden intrusion when she was drowning in her own pile of jumbled thoughts. "You're not heading to class yet?" Her roommate asked as she walked to her dresser for a change of outfit from her sports bra and shorts, though curious, a bright smile still remained positively plastered on her face.

"I was just about to go, actually," she answered swiftly as if she wasn't just spacing out a few moments ago and stood up with ease, her right arm already propped with her laptop and notebooks as she began to step through the door.

"Oh! Well then, here's an apple before you leave, you might not want to go to class with an empty stomach," Sage exclaimed, chasing after her, "besides, an apple a day keeps the doctors away!" She winked at Aurelia before shutting their dorm room door close.