The girl in the corner - a short story

She was always there. Sitting alone in the corner. She had brown hair and blue eyes. She wore the same jacket every day. Mostly she was stretched out across the wall avoiding eye contact with anyone. Always there, in the corner of the wall. We often stared at her wondering why she was there. No one acknowledged her, not even the adults. I wondered if she was lonely. People began avoiding her on purpose. She have an eerie vibe. No one liked her.
"Stay away from the girl in the corner!" They'd say wide eyed and panicked whispers. Day after day my curiosity grew and grew until I could take it no longer. I stood up from my table.
"What are you doing!?!" The kids said with scared hushed voices. I simply ignored their cries and walked over to the girl. I sat on the wall a few inches from her. What was I thinking!! I suddenly thought as we simply sat there. It was quiet and inside my heart was racing a million miles under a minute.
"H-hey.." I mumbled trying to find my voice. She stayed silent not even glancing up at me.
"Wh-what's your name.." I calmly asked again tripping over my words.
"Evelyn.." her voice was cool like ice on a chilly winter night," Evelyn Archer."
"I'm Jeremy! Jeremy fisher"
It was silent, neither of us said anything and that was kinda ok. It was nice to sit in silence. After a few minutes of silence she spoke again, softly and without hesitation.
"Why are you here." Her voice was droned as if she'd repeated these same words time after time again.
"What do you mean?" I asked confused.
"No one comes over here."
"Well you're here" I replied cautiously pressing my back against the wall. More silence, the noise of the children busy at work seemed to be beackgroung noise as we sat there.
"Why are you back here" I said as if redirecting an earlier question. She finally looked up at me. She had dark brown hair that dropped over her face. Her eyes were ice blue, like pools of frozen water still stirring underneath the deadly ice. Her eyes were the most life-like thing about her.
"I don't know" she sounded confused by her own answer, her eye brows scrunched up as she questioned her own existence.
"I've grown so used to not being seen I just sit in the background."
I felt sympathy for this girl, probably never noticed by her parents or teachers. Nothing special, a stone in river of stones, each unique but look the same either way.
I looked up at the clock hanging upon the wall, it read 11:45. My class was almost over.
"Well, it was nice talking to you" I said feeling as if I'd gained something by that conversation.
"Same to you" real emotion later behind those words, as if they meant something more to her. Returning back to my seat I grabbed my book bag ignoring the frightened chatter of my classmates. I couldn't wait till I returned the next day.

The sun shone bright as my bus pulled up to a stop outside of the school. I rushed out past all my friends and others whose names I don't know. I walked inside my classroom with a sense of urgency a skip in my step. I got to my table and quickly set my backpack down. I whirled around to face the wall. There she was. I strode over taking my rightful place on the wall. She said a quick greeting and I replied with the same.
"How do you get here so fast" I asked in awe of how she could get here earlier than most kids.
"My mom drops me off early." She replied looking up at me.
We talked for all of homeroom of random thoughts and funny stories. I much enjoyed her stories. When the bell rang I said a quick goodby leaving her to rejoin my seat. After that I left for all my other classes. At the end of the day I joined back at my homeroom. I didn't even drop my book bag at my desk. I sat at the wall. Evelyn always listened to me, she heard my ideas and gave thoughts about them. I always listened to her. Over the course of one day we became friends. Just like that. I stayed at school as late as I could to talk with her. I rushed to school every morning, my mother couldn't believe I was getting up on time. Every day we could chat about something new. She started smiling more and more, her presence felt lighter and more fun to be around. For the fist time I felt like I had one reliable friend I could count on. Despite the fact people started talking to me less and everybody labeled me as "Jeremy fisher, the weird kid" I didn't care, as long as I say Evelyn's smiling face in the morning and hear her voice whisper" goodby" as I left the school for the day. She became so close to me. I felt our friendship would last forever. I felt a new sense of purpose in my life, I enjoyed coming to school all to see that one smile. That morning I got up extra early getting ready for the bus. I stood outside feeling the cold winter air cut through my jacket. As the bus came around the corner I hopped on waiting for the school to arrive. As soon as the bus stopped I was off, tearing through the hallways to reach my classroom. I'd known Evelyn for over a month now, we'd become best friends, every time I walked in the room to the one by I left we were together, in the corner of the wall. I burst through the door a smile fadtened to my face as I scanned the room. A sudden horror seized me as I noticed Evelyn wasn't at her spot. Neither was she in the classroom. My smile faded as I walked over to my desk. I set my backpack down and got a pencil out. Perhaps she was just late I assured myself. I waiting all homeroom until the bell rang and the teacher walked in ready to start the lesson. She smiled brightly at us as she started. I hardly heard a word she said, my thoughts drifted to why Evelyn wasn't here. The whole day flew by as my thoughts wondered. I was hardly aware of anything happening at all. She never came. As we transitioned back to our homeroom I glanced on last time at the spot where our friendship was created.
"Miss!" I called out to the teacher. She walked over as the rest of the students filled out of the door.
"Yes Jeremy." She responded as if hurrying me to go home.
"Where is Evelyn.?" I asked her grabbing my bookbag.
"Who?" She responded. Her eyebrows knit together as she stared at me.
"Evelyn, Evelyn Archer.." I replied more slow and with a drawn out voice.
"We don't have a student named Evelyn. Much less Eveylyn Archer."