Chapter Two

Vivian

I stared out the small window in my office, wishing I had a view of more than a brick wall. Someday I would.

"Where'd you meet this psycho blind date?" my friend and co-worker Kara demanded.

I turned toward her. "Donelle's husband is in the same fantasy football league as Eric."

"Nice." She made no effort to hide her disdain. "Donelle was your college roommate, right?"

"Yeah."

"Well, are you gonna call her ass up and tell her what that asshole did? Maybe send some pics of the marks on your throat?" She motioned for me to hand over my cell phone. "I'll take some for you."

I fiddled with the gauzy scarf around my neck, trying to cover the marks Eric's hands had left. My boss had told me to stay home for as long as I needed to recover when I told her about what happened. I'd taken one day–yesterday. But this morning I'd decided I needed to get my mind off things and I'd come in. My client meetings had all been rearranged for next week and I was catching up on paperwork.

"Telling her won't change anything," I said. "And I'm tired of talking about it. I had to tell my parents, Susan and you."

Kara sighed and sat down in the leather chair in front of my desk. "I know. I'm sorry, Viv. I'm just so pissed at that bastard. If I could get my hands on him—"

"Kane gave him a dose of his own medicine," I said softly, smiling.

"The bouncer from the club, you mean?"

"I think he's the head bouncer."

"Was he wearing a nametag or something? How do you know his name?" Kara was giving me the sharp cross-examination that had gotten her hired and then promoted at Glen, Travor and Hobbs, our firm.

"I asked him."

She steepled her fingers and rested her chin on them. "Uh-huh. And...?"

"And nothing," I said, a little too sharply.

"Looks like something."

"Don't you have any work to do?"

She scoffed. "When my best friend was just assaulted in an alley? Hells no, girl."

"I just want to forget about it, okay?"

I rubbed my forehead, wishing it was possible to forget. That night ran through my head morning, noon and night. It wasn't just Eric I was thinking about, either. I was increasingly finding my thoughts wandering to the man whose cedar-scented flannel shirt was sitting on a chair in my bedroom.

It had to be because he'd saved me. This was just some sort of knight-in-shining armor complex I was experiencing. Why else would I be fantasizing about Kane? He'd shown no interest in me and more importantly, seemed to be the polar opposite of the men I usually chose.

"It's screwed up to be thinking about a guy after the other night," I said, my voice nearly a whisper as I stared into space.

"Honey, the only thing that's screwed up is what that asshole did to you. Don't you dare make yourself feel like anything you've thought or felt since then is wrong."

And that was why I loved Kara. She knew when to push and when to reassure.

"You have time for a Starbucks run?" I asked, standing up and reaching for my purse.

"Always."

"How's my scarf?"

I walked around to the front of my desk and Kara rearranged it a little. She fluffed up my long, dark hair a little, too.