No Survivors

"I'm like, maybe sixty-seven percent sure this thing won't explode on us."

     TJ's eyes bulged out and her jaw practically dropped to the floor. The rest of our team shifted uncomfortably. "Are you serious?" she hissed. "Well," I drawled, reaching to scratch my ear, "the thing is practically a fossil-"

     "A fossil that can save us or destroy us, so cut the chat and drop it!" Athena said, youngest of the group, her hair fell in silvery blond strands around her face, her eyes dark blue, like a storm over an ocean. I stared into them for a bit more.

     "Well!" TJ shoved at me, thrusting the bomb in my hands. "Hey, hey, careful-!" She grabbed me by my leather collar and glared at me with her amber eyes, so light they were almost like embers. "Go. I'm serious. That thing is going to blow in two minutes, damaged or not." I pursed my lips at she backed off the platform. I didn't close my eyes as she pulled the lever, releasing me to fall into the enemy's very hands.

     "West-" A voice crackled in my ear. "West, to you copy?" The tech strapped to my limbs and back ignited, making for a safe and quiet landing. "This is West. I copy." I glanced at the bomb resting in the crook of my arm like a very judgmental baby. A baby that I didn't not want to wake up. "Good. Cams are online. So is your location. Go down the long hallway, turn a left." I did as the voice said, my ears picking up every little sound.

     "Good," I heard it say. "Now keep going. I'll let you know when anyone's near, alright? I've got Jones on decoding... and we're in." A grin tugged at my lips, and I stole another glance at the bomb. Had it been a minute already? "It's... all clear. Every hallway. Empty..." A chill went down my spine. This wasn't right, this was wrong.

     "Captain?" I ignored the voice crackling in my ear. "Captain Wes-" I was losing connection, but it didn't matter. I skidded around a corner and my heart leapt into my throat: the battered bodies of men lay limp, propped up like rag dolls against the blood smeared walls. I cursed colorfully.

     I turned back, moving too fast, my steps no longer careful. "-st! Do you copy?" I grimaced. "Aye, Athena, I copy. But there's something wrong. Everyone's dead. There are no survivors." Their end was silent. "True... true. There are no survivors." The tone of her voice had only stunned me for a second, and by then, it was a second too late.

     Red lights flared from the device in my hand. A reared back, and-

     There was fire. No noise. Just a ringing noise. Then an overwhelming scent... and darkness.