nine

[art by @Larry_Babiesss]

nine

Ten minutes later, Fire pulled away from Harry, sniffling. She walked over to the mirror hanging from a nail and looked at herself.

"I look terrible," she said and laughed. Harry opened his mouth to speak and Fire looked at him in the mirror, almost locking eyes with him. "Don't tell me I look beautiful or anything. That's BS. I actually do look terrible."

Harry raised an eyebrow at her. His previous girlfriends had said they were ugly, fat, horrid, all the time and had gotten mad if he never complimented them. They, of course, were none of the things they claimed to be and they knew it too; they simply wanted compliments. Harry was impressed and admirable of the fact that Fire could call herself horrible and mean it - plus the fact that she wasn't saying it for attention.

"Whatever," Fire said, turning away from the mirror. "Sorry about my appearance."

Harry shook his head to let her know it was okay before spinning in a slow circle, taking in the single-room treehouse. "This is really nice."

Fire nodded. "My brother helped me decorate it," she told him, voice shaking a little.

"How long have you been up here?"

She sighed. "Ever since I came back from Mini Mart. I usually come up here to think." As she spoke, she made her way back to the porch of the treehouse, sitting down and dangling her legs over the edge. Harry came to sit down beside her, his legs reaching farther towards the ground than hers.

The pair sat in silence until Harry spoke up. Quietly, he said, "I'm sorry about your brother."

Fire looked away from him, staring off towards her house, which looked dark and empty. "It's okay."

"You know you can trust me, right? With anything. It's not an empty promise. I really mean it."

Fire felt a surge of happiness run through her. Nobody had ever said that to her before, and typically, the offers were meaningless. "Thanks, Harry," Fire whispered and without thinking about it, she leaned over and kissed Harry's cheek quickly.

Pulling back, she blushed, the rush of blood to her cheeks clearly felt. Harry smiled and turned to say something but Fire lifted her hand and covered his mouth. "If you say anything about that, I will hurt you."

Harry didn't say a word. Instead, when she took her hand away, he leaned over and kissed her cheek too.