Divorce

It wasn't until the fifth night you stayed at her house, that it occurred to me that this might be over.

I rolled over  in bed and touched the spot where you used to be, where you belonged.

When did it go wrong? When did we stop looking at each other like we used to?

Had we really been growing apart all this time and I just hadn't noticed?

No, I refuse to take all the blame when the day that I saw that twinkle in  your eye disappear. You smelled like her perfume...

I let myself get caught up in my ambitions and in that time, you were lost. You went searching , but it wasn't me you found.

I guess I can't blame you, one can only look into empty eyes for so long before you get tired of the cold.

You always liked being warm.

I look around the home we built together, can you please tell me how I pack up years of memories?

I guess you learned how long ago, I just never seemed to notice your bags in the corner.

But, as you lay with her in this very moment. I dream of the first time your skin touched mine, and for once, I long to be her. 

Though I may never accept that all good things must come to an end. I will always be here.

Your heart may travel, but mine will always be your home. Waiting for your return. Your spot on our bed, made just for you. My arms, mind, body, and soul, all open. Ready. Wanting.

I wake to you next to me, in a cold sweat I realize I was dreaming what I know to be my worst nightmare.

I wish to wake you, cry in your arms. But the sight of your chest, softly rising, up, and down, stops me. 

I examine your face carefully. Have you ever felt I left you? Have you had dreams like this?

I caress your face softly, as not to startle you.

And I vow to make sure that you always know you are loved.