Chapter 6: Magic and Madness

That afternoon, the carriage came to a halt in the midst of street vendors stretching as far as the eye could see. Smoke drifted around, and when he followed its source he saw vials with bubbling liquid in all colors hanging above open fire. The items being sold made Valek's jaw drop wide open

"Potions," a salesman yelled. He locked Valek's eyes and reached out his hand to stop him. "Young man, you there. Oh, you look like you're in dire need of a love potion, hm? Behold, I have an entire collection." When no answer came from the stunned teenager, the sorcerer placed a finger on his lips and pointed at a vial with bubbling purple liquid. "How about a good-luck potion, then? You look like you can use some luck."

"Everyone can use some luck. No interest, old man," Darko Drazik said, and stepped in front of Valek. "And you will refer to him as my Lord, this is Lord Raverik you're speaking to." Darko tugged Valek along as the man's eyes grew big of surprise.

"You really put him on a spot there," Valek said. "That really wasn't necessary. I mean, I don't care what they call me."

Darko Drazik threw him a look of scorn. "I didn't do it out of disrespect or to embarrass the old man, nor did I do it so you can feel precious. It's necessary for the realm. If these people see you as just another chap and don't respect you as their rightful ruler, it's only a matter of time before they overthrow you. They need to respect you, Lord Valek, for you are their leader – a royal heir destined to sit on the throne – you're not their buddy."

This made Valek ponder for a moment. Being an important figure would take a lot of getting used to, let alone leading an entire realm, but at least he had a rude crew of rude servants going for him who treated him as anything but royalty.

They passed an area dedicated to food where the scents of sweet, spicy, and savory all blended into an aroma that made their tummies grumble. There was a stand with glowing pastries inside tiny buckets, and up ahead Valek saw people eating large heart shaped cotton candy balanced on a thin stick, and everywhere crowds had gathered around little stalls to get their food.

Valek looked away from the food, not of disinterest but because he was scanning the stalls for something else. Ever since Dr. Fisnik had mentioned pet dragons Valek had been unable to get it out of his mind. Some stands were devoted to hairdressing, and he saw hair being changed from one color to another in a split second and some even walked out with a head full of live snakes.

This was what he assumed the fashion area. The clothes here were quite different from what he was used to, long cloaks with glowing sigils and actual bright golden halos hovering above tables where people tried on the halos, along with translucent wings that were also being tried on. A sign read that the halos lasted up to twelve hours, and the wings three days.

Tobben appeared next to him. "Want some wings?"

Had it been his familiar world, it'd have been an offer of chicken wings. Valek shook his head. "I want to see the baby dragons." Up ahead his eye caught a stand where wooden canes were being sold, they were topped with objects like small skulls and rotating balls. "Are those... wands?"

"Yes," Tobben replied. "Good thing you mentioned it, we need to get you one."

Valek thought on his collection at home, figurines he'd worked so hard for to be able to afford. Leaving them behind hurt more than anything, that collection was his pride. "I suppose they don't sell action figures here."

"What? Action figures?"

"Never mind."

Out of the row of wands, Valek chose the one that left him in awe – it was a black wand with little dragons carved on its handle, from there up it was smooth until it was topped with a dragon spreading its wings. The moment the salesman handed him the wand, the dragon lit up green and actual fire blew from its mouth.