Reunion

The rain had softened to a light drizzle. I was walking down the deserted country road when I saw him. It had been three years but there was no mistaking his familiar gait and messy, dark hair. I sped up and walked next to him, matching his leisurely pace. We walked in comfortable silence before I spoke.

"I just love the rain. There's just something relaxing about that earthy smell and the even sound of the raindrops hitting the ground and trees. Relaxing enough to make someone fall asleep on the bus, don't you think?" I said with a small smile as I looked up at him.

He looked at me and made eye contact. "Cressida?" He asked in disbelief before his face hardened into an expressionless mask. Marc taught him well.

I sighed. "Yes Alex, it's me. And I know you still hate me, even after three years."

He said nothing, but I saw a slight shift in his face. This was not going to be easy.

"Ya know... I always knew you were still alive, after the initial shock wore off of course. There was always a part of me deep down inside that always knew."

Still nothing.

I stopped and grabbed his arm, making him face me. "Look, I'm sorry for what I did. You have no idea how much I want to go back and change what I said and did. But I can't. All I can do is ask you to forgive me."

He raised his head and looked at me. "You were my only friend, Cressida. But then you just threw our friendship in my face and walked away."

I could feel the tears build up in my eyes. "I was scared! How do you think I was supposed to act when I found out my best friend had killed someone? I was scared and in shock."

"That doesn't change what you did. And that letter was pitiful."

I flinched. "I know it was. I thought you had died Alex! Of course the letter would be a little pitiful."

He snorted.

I felt the tears fall, mixing in with the raindrops falling down my face. My voice cracked when I spoke. "Please, all I'm asking is for your forgiveness. We don't have to be friends again. I just want your forgiveness."

He turned his back on me. "Go home Cressida."

I started crying - hard. "Don't you see? I don't have a home anymore! My mother died of hepatitis and my father doesn't want me. I have no one!"

He froze. "What about Ulrich?"

"He betrayed me. We had a mission and he betrayed me. I left the NIA after that. I no longer work for Jeremy."

He turned back and faced me. "Then what have you been doing?"

I gave a small smile. "Looking for you. Hoping that you would finally forgive me."

We stood there for who knows how long. I knew he was having an internal battle, so I said nothing. Finally after what seemed to be an eternity, he sighed.

" 'Don't be so focused on your past that you fail to plan for the future.' You said that to me three years ago."

"So..."

He sighed again. "So, it means I forgive you. I realize now that I had been so focused on how hurt I was that I really didn't get anywhere in life. So, yes, I forgive you."

I smiled and hugged him. "That's all I ever wanted these past three years."

He hugged me back.

I pulled back and smiled. "So, does that mean we're friends again?"

Alex gave me a small smile and nodded. "Friends."