California

Amy skyped me on Thursday

"Hi Ricky.  AH finals are done now I can go to the diner to celebrate with Charlie's cheesecake and endless cider.  Officers Lopez and Brooks are stopping in, maybe even Lou (Lieutenant Brown), Ben free then home to my boys."

"When you coming in?"

"Around 6pm"

"We'll be waiting"

Friday night waiting at the airport for Amy.  "Mommy, Mommy" John started running for her.  He jumped into her arms.  I just watched her spin around and round with excitement.

"Come on Mommy we have a surprise for you. So let's goo o-o-o!!" pulling her my way.  He grabbed my hand and pulled me too.

In the car.  "Time to close your eyes" escorting her out of the car and up the stairs.  Opened the door John shouts "SURPRISE!!"  Amy's mouth dropped.  I wrapped my arms around her waist whispered "Welcome Home Amy!!" then kissed her on her neck.

Walking in to see the Welcome Home Mommy banner.  A bouquet of flowers with candles on the table. Drawn pictures of flowers all over the fridge, couch, and table from John.  Picnic blanket on the floor with dinner.  She walked to the table picked out a daisy from the bouquet and placed it behind her ear.  She walked back to John picked him up "So what's for dinner?"  

"Chicken nuggets with mac & cheese" with a big smile on his face.  "My favorite" walking him over to the blanket and sat down.  I took out my phone, took a picture as John kissed him mom.  We ate dinner.  As I was washing dishes they were playing on the floor.  She put him to bed then sat down on the couch.  I sat beside her as a tear trickled down her cheek she quickly looked away.

"Tears of Joy?"

"Mostly, He knows I'm only here for two weeks, then I go back."

"He knows.  He loves you very much and he wanted you to see that."

"You're shivering, you cold?' placing the blanket from the couch over her shoulders.  She shook her head no.

"Then why you shivering?"  She leaned back on me and shrugged her shoulders.

"What is it Amy, what going on?"

"Little nervous being in this apartment again."

I push her hair away from her neck and give her soft kisses.  "Relax, close your eyes don't think about it just tell me what you feel."

"Beside you"

"Yes besides my kisses"

"On one hand I feel I just want my boys and the other hand I should be in school."

"Then you should be in school."

"But when I leave..." I interrupt "he sees his mommy following her dreams as daddy is answering any opportunities that come a knocking!  Feel a little better?"

"Still a little nervous being here" pulling herself forward.

"Why??"

She looked back at me "Has there ever been..." trailing off looking down at the floor.

"Ever been what Amy?"

"Ever been other women here?"

"Amy this is our apartment, our bed, so NO there hasn't been any other women." She rolled her eyes at me like she didn't believe me. Then again I don't blame her.  She knows I been with many women.  But none like her.

I stood up with frustration. This isn't the conversation I wanted tonight.  "Look Amy you have changed me I'm so not the same guy when you first meet me.  I have fallen in love with you.  I asked you to marry me for a reason, then you walked out that damn door to follow your dreams.  I had to sit here and take care of this little man.  This little man is my son, and I don't want him to be anything like me.  I don't want him to be that angry guy that once was taking advantage of women.  Thinking sex is love, that isn't love.  I certainly don't want that little boy to think I'm replacing his mommy.  I would NEVER replace his mom.  You are the best mom around.  Hell you're the best woman around.  I miss everything about you Amy.  I can't stop thinking about you.  I can't stop dreaming about you."  I ran my hands through my hair as I turned away.

Amy stood up and slid right past me and stood in John's door way.  Standing behind her with my hand on her hip, "We're fine. We don't mind if you follow your dreams.  Just don't forget about us." Taking a deep breath, "There's no expiration date on my proposal, after high school, after college, in 10 years I just want to know if you will be my wife someday?" Wrapping her arms around my neck, whispered "someday."  I scooped her up and brought her back to the couch.  We made love that night and every night till she left for school again. We skype every night.