Chapter 5

At school, students were talking about what they were going to do to for the Day of the Fallen and who in their families fought in the war. I'd listen to what they had to say. Usually, I would be amazed at what their family members did in the way, but my encounter with Jasper made me realize that what those people did was probably nothing compared to what my grandmother did.

One of my friends, Tyler, asked me what I was going to do for the Day of the Fallen during lunch.

"I'm not sure, Tyler," I admitted. "Maybe celebrate with a new friend."

He seemed surprised by answer since I usually responded with something like, "I'm not going to celebrate the Day of the Fallen."

"That's cool!" Tyler replied, trying to sound interested and cheerful.

"What are you going to do?" I asked. Tyler grinned and began telling me all about how his grandparents fought in the war together and how they were the perfect team. He told me about how he was going to decorate the dinner table with their pictures and possessions and eat their favorite dishes.

All I could do was smile and nod. "That all sound great, Tyler, but do you know what your grandparents did in the war?"

"I'm assuming they killed a bunch of monsters, but to be honest, I'm not really sure."

I flinched slighty upon hearing the word "monster" because of the negative connotation it has. Titus, Jasper, and that elf who made my grandmother's katana didn't seem horrible. In fact, Jasper seemed to be really nice, and in my dream, Titus was really selfless and friendly. I wasn't really sure about the elf, but the fact that it created the katana for my grandmother had to be worth something right?

"Do you really think that everything from the other world is bad and deserves to be called a monster? Do you ever consider some could actually be good?" I asked suddenly.

"Yeah! Of course they're bad! They invaded our world! They wanted to take over and destroy us all! They are monsters and deserve to be called monsters!" Tyler snapped passionately.

"But what if something prompted them to come over to our world? What if we caused them to come over?" I inquired.

Tyler looked at me funny. "What has been going on with you lately, Kiara? You've been acting strange, and since when are you on the enemy's side?"

I blinked in surprise and looked away uncomfortably and slightly hurt that he thought I was betraying humanity. "They aren't all enemies. I guess I've just gained a new perspective." The bell rang, signalling the end of the period. "I've got to go. See you around, Tyler." I got up from the table and walked out of the cafeteria, leaving him behind.