The Field

The phone illuminated brightly to her freshly awakening eyes. It was him.
"Hey, I have some stuff to take care of for a while today. Can't wait to see you later! 😙"
She giggled because, as much as she doesn't like him being right, he really was an adorable goofball. She got to her feet and got ready for the day.
Class was like any other day. Dead tired all day, homework on top, sprinkled with the gut feeling of worthlessness. Getting home, she quickly tackled some homework with a snack. He still hadn't texted, but it was no reason to concern. He said he was going to be busy, he'll get around to it, surely.
4:30 rolled around and she was grinding out the work, but still no text. It's almost time to get ready, at least a little.
"Hey, I'm finally done, you ready?"
It was time stamped at 3:42. Stupid fucking phone.
"My phone never showed me the text, I'm so sorry!"
He assured her that it was no big deal and he'd be over relatively soon.
He pulled up in his car. His car. Which was really odd. That car had been out of commission for quite a while. And sure enough, once he got out, he showcased it like he birthed it himself.
They drove to a nearby park with a massive, open field. He opened the trunk and pulled out a bag of snacks and a couple blankets.
They sat around as the sun set just opening each other's hearts and dumping them out. Finally she felt a little closer to him. They sprawled out on the blanket and embraced one another, just enjoying each other.
Before either of them knew it, it was almost 9. And it had gotten colder. They got back in the car and turned the heat on. After a while of being stagnant, she pulled him in and kissed him. Not a particularly long kiss, but it was great. Definitely worth the wait, she thought.
He looked like he had seen a ghost. And said ghost just kissed him. But he returned the favour and knocked her into a stupor.
They shared another embrace before he suggested going back to her house for a movie.